Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WindowsXP OEM V.S WindowsXP Retail

Originally posted by fungi
    OEM means (if my **** poor memory serves me) Official End Manufacturer. Meaning you're building the system and don't care if you get the pretty box, additional software???, and a manual (although sometimes they give this to you ... ask if they do, then decide if it matters). For hardware you usually only get the, for example, let's it's a vid card in an anti static bag with the driver CD, maybe a plain box and sometimes a manual.

As for support, even with the retail version, you have to register and often pay for one on one phone support. Usually you're left to your own devices ... i.e. their website, email, forums and friends.

Might check with compusa to see if it voids your waranty somehow. Maybe they have a good deal for you to upgrade? Not familiar with their computers so unsure if they have proprietary drivers and such for XP (thinking of the horrors dealing with Compaqs). Edit: like goya said above w/ his ibm laptop

Best of luck in your upgrade
    check if what voids my warranty, what a video card. to get a video card into ur comp with voiding the warranty you have to have them install it.

Comment

who pays for Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by AviationOrdnance
        WTH! and you have the OEM version?I make up some BS too but after the 3rd time they didn't help me! I could not even talk to no one it just said that it could not activate it for me bye...lol
        Well, maybe I've just been lucky

All I know if it resides in one computer and one computer only, thats all Micro$oft cares about (one copy of XP per computer).

Comment

i have
          XP HE
          XP Upgrade (same crap)
          XP Pro
          XP Pro x64

and yes all legal, to bad i just cant send you one disk

Comment

I'm not sure about this. But, I have an OEM from Dell and they lock the registry on certain things. Like trying to add certain .reg(s). Also it says I'm admin in users but some things I don't have access to. Says must be an admin. to do w/e I'm trying to do.

So I'm not sure if your able to do everything you would be able to on retail.

Can someone confirm this?

Comment

Originally posted by fungi
              OEM means (if my **** poor memory serves me) Official End Manufacturer. Meaning you're building the system and don't care if you get the pretty box, additional software???, and a manual (although sometimes they give this to you ... ask if they do, then decide if it matters). For hardware you usually only get the, for example, let's it's a vid card in an anti static bag with the driver CD, maybe a plain box and sometimes a manual.

As for support, even with the retail version, you have to register and often pay for one on one phone support. Usually you're left to your own devices ... i.e. their website, email, forums and friends.

Might check with compusa to see if it voids your waranty somehow. Maybe they have a good deal for you to upgrade? Not familiar with their computers so unsure if they have proprietary drivers and such for XP (thinking of the horrors dealing with Compaqs). Edit: like goya said above w/ his ibm laptop

Best of luck in your upgrade
              OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

Comment

i upgrade my computer about once a year and i have not had any touble reactivating windows. i've even gone from intel p4 to amd64 and changes mother boards and i have not had any problems. at times i have to call microsoft 8xx number to get them to give me the code to enter, but most times i don't have to. right now i upgraded my memory and i did not have any problems.

one last thing don't get an oem version if you can avoid it. if you get a computer with an oem version try to get the cds. pay the $10 extra for them. most times they ship you the regular windows xp version and not their butchered version which they have preloaded. if you only have a disk version or a brain dead oem version and you have an old copy of windows 9x/me then you can always buy windows xp home edition upgrade when you run into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                X