Will More RAM REALLY Help my FPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will More RAM REALLY Help my FPS?

I have a laptop and Right now I've got 768MB of memory and my videocard takes 128MB off the top anyways... Well In a 64-player server i get only about 15 - 23FPS when its full... (On much smaller servers ill get 20 - 30fps)

So if i add 1GB it will bring me to 1.25GB...

Heres my specs

3.0GHz P4 800FSB
    768MB - 128MB for video (Its a Radeon 9000 IGP)
    60GB 5400RPM Drive

Right now its hard to play and i would rather spend the $100 to add 1GB to help me rather than buy a new laptop which will run me about $2000...

So do you guys think the upgrade will help me at all and if so how much do you think?

Also when i use "renderer.drawfps 1" what the heck is that second number like ill have "15.0 / 59.4"

Re: Will More RAM REALLY Help my FPS?

Why are you playing games on a laptop, laptops are for working on not for games.

Comment

pctorque.com my friend... laptops for gamers...

I just have a old one...

Basically i travel a lot and almost never have access to my desktop...

Comment

Yeah they suck for gaming, and i notice how they don't advertise the price in big letters like on most sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho
          Yeah they suck for gaming, and i notice how they don't advertise the price in big letters like on most sites.
          They dont need to use big letters... Thats where almost all Mobile Gamers go...

Laptops are accually really good for gaming... We even have 7800s that we can get and the Pentium-M 's will kick almost any desktops processors ass any day of the week...

So... Back to the topic... What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by TecKng778
            They dont need to use big letters... Thats where almost all Mobile Gamers go...

Laptops are accually really good for gaming... We even have 7800s that we can get and the Pentium-M 's will kick almost any desktops processors ass any day of the week...
            Sure mate, ignorance is bliss.

If you add RAM it will increase your frame rate as long as nothing else is bottle necking it.

Comment

Sure mate, ignorance is bliss.

If you add RAM it will increase your frame rate as long as nothing else is bottle necking it.
              Bah... Hope my video card isnt the problem...

Anyways im not being ignorant... I would love to play on a desktop but considering im always on the go i normally only get to play while traveling...

Comment

Originally posted by TecKng778
                Bah... Hope my video card isnt the problem...

Anyways im not being ignorant... I would love to play on a desktop but considering im always on the go i normally only get to play while traveling...
                It most likly is your graphics card, but due to it's nature getting more RAM will help it meaning it isn't bottle necking it.
                What is hindering it compare to any desktop is the RPM of your HDD this will significatly increase loading times and may cause some problems in game as well, but that might not be so it just a theory as the game will have been designed to be used on a 7200 RPM HDD.

Comment

what do u need to type in to c ur fps?

Comment

Originally posted by DefJam
                    what do u need to type in to c ur fps?
                    Code:
                    renderer.drawFps [0,1]
                    Put 1 to turn it on, put 0 to turn it off.

It shows your average Frame rate per second, in the top left of the screen.

Comment

Isn't ripping open a laptop and changing/adding RAM a bit complicated?

Not saying it's impossible, just saying it's probably harder than doing it on a desktop, you know? If you know what you're doing then cool.

Comment

Originally posted by HicRic

Not saying it's impossible, just saying it's probably harder than doing it on a desktop, you know? If you know what you're doing then cool.
                        It can be done, it is just as easy to do just not as many people do it so people deem it to be harder.

Comment

Originally posted by HicRic

Well normally both slots are under the laptop. You remove 1 screw pull up the panel and add/remove the memory...

Sometimes there is 1 slot under the keyboard and the second under the panel... But most arent like that... If it is you just remove 5 - 6 screws, lift the keyboard and add/remove memory...

Its extremely easy, infact i would rather install memory in a laptop than desktop because with a desktop i have to deal with so much stuff in the way and in a small case, it sucks...

Im a regular over at Notebookforums.com / Straferight.com

It can be done, it is just as easy to do just not as many people do it so people deem it to be harder.
                          Right....

Comment

With SF more ram doesn't do crap.

Comment

Working...
                            X