need server help fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need server help fast

This has probably been asked a billion times, but does anyone know a good, complete FAQ for setting up a server? i have recently bought a new computer (3 ghz, 1gig ram, LAN connection) and i can connect to it, but my friends can't. i have looked everywhere and just can't firgure out whats wrong. any help or links is greatly appreciated.

Re: need server help fast

I asume you have a LAN and your mates are trying to connect via internet.

Are you running the server behind any firewalls or/and a router?
    If so you will have to sort out your port forwarding.

If you have a router, which you should for a LAN, then turn off all software firewalls, e.g windows and zonealarm etc. They shouldn't be needed.

Then have a look at this link and find your router. This should explain the port forwarding stuff.

Also when joining your game they need to insert the correct ip. Your router will probably assign your PC with an ip like 192.168.0.? that's no good if your mates or joining via the net. They need to connect to your internet ip. the router will then forward traffic that come in via the ports that you set, to your PC.

If you are all playing on your LAN then it's most likely to be software firewalls blocking traffic, turn them all off and try again.

Hope that makes sense, and that it helps.

Comment

Working...
    X