Resolution and refresh rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resolution and refresh rates

I really know squat about monitors but I'm starting to learn. I guess it's the next logical step since I'm well versed in computer hardware. Anyway, I bought a monitor from a co-worker about two years ago and I just found out the native resolution is 1600x1200 @ 60Hz. It's a Dell 20" LCD (2000FP). I tried the 1600x1200 setting when I first got it. The game was DC and I got a noticable amount of ghosting. Just a second ago I tried it again in BF2 and I couldn't tell if it was ghosting. The only difference between then and now is an ATi 9800Pro vs. a NVidia 6800GT OC @ Ultra speeds.

Could the extra gpu processing power of the 6800 cure the ghosting issues of before or am I crazy?

If you run a similar resolution, what's your refresh rate and do you ghost?

Re: Resolution and refresh rates

No, as it is the responce rate in milliseconds that causes the effect unless that has reduced because you have a faster computer, but i don't think it is to do with that.

Comment

No, ghosting is a by-product of high responce times, shouldn't have anything to do with the vid card.

I have a 19" Samsung 930b that I run @ 1280x1024, 8ms responce time and have no ghosting.

Comment

Well. I think it was more then my old 9800 could handle to begin with. I think my response time it 25ms. That's can't be bad for such a high native res.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Yes I think the faster video card does help some, I have a Samsung 21.5" 213T with 23-26 ms [I play BF2 at 1600x1200 all settings on HIGH] response time and get NO ghosting. So I do think the video card helps.

Comment

Ghosting has nothing to do with your videocard or computer. It is the inherent response time of the monitor. It's a fixed number, nothing you can do about it. If you want a faster response time you need to buy another monitor.

Comment

I thought about going back to CRT but the desk space savings is just too great. I need to see what this monitor is worth and maybe step down to a 19" or something.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

Working...
              X