No announcement yet.

Can someone explain BIOS to me plz?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain BIOS to me plz?!?!

I don't understand it at all. I'm slow! I understand it's the core of a system. But, I've had mine since '02 (A02) and nothing is wrong or, has gone wrong.

I've upgraded several components and still nothing. When should it be upgraded? What should I keep an eye out for?

I know they say if it's not broken do not fix it. But, in case something does happen? How do I know it's caused by old skool BIOS?

Thx in advance!

Re: Can someone explain BIOS to me plz?!?!

Some newer motherboards have windows based BIOS upgrade software that downloads the latest BIOS version and updates it for you.

If you're using an older motherboard that does NOT have a nice, easy-to-use BIOS updater and you are not comfortable with making Boot Disks and flashing your BIOS manually (with potentially harmful results), then I wouldn't bother.

I really only update my BIOS when I'm installing a new CPU and I know I need a BIOS update to support it.

Comment

well I have p4 2.2 and i has 768 ram 512mb 3200 256mb 2700
      soo I bought another 512mb 3200 but bf2 and far cry would reboot my system or it would reboot by its self so the next time I reformatted I updated my bios and the new bios changed the case latencey boom I got 1 gig of ram working soo if its not broken or your up grading you may need to it worked for me its easy it cpuz get your mother board site grab a floppy the flash the bios its very easy mine was 2 years old

Comment

Originally posted by Talus
        Some newer motherboards have windows based BIOS upgrade software that downloads the latest BIOS version and updates it for you.

If you're using an older motherboard that does NOT have a nice, easy-to-use BIOS updater and you are not comfortable with making Boot Disks and flashing your BIOS manually (with potentially harmful results), then I wouldn't bother.

I really only update my BIOS when I'm installing a new CPU and I know I need a BIOS update to support it.
        Yeah flashing scares the poop out of me.

Just wasn't sure if it speed's up start time, reading/writing of HDD's, memory read or what?

Thx Talus for your time. Much appreciated.

Comment

Not generally...all you usually get is more compatibility.

Comment

Yeah koo I understand it now. It was nice I found an .exe to do the work from my HD. No need for floppy flash. *wipes forehead*

Thx again guys!

Comment

And you were successful I take it?

Huzzah!

Comment

Here is a BIOS Optimization Guide that explains alot of BIOS settings & what they do. http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=9

Comment

Working...
                X