Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible that a firewall/virus scan could be causing graphics bugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible that a firewall/virus scan could be causing graphics bugs?

Pending this answer I may or may not have another question to post.

Re: Is it possible that a firewall/virus scan could be causing graphics bugs?

EA have told us in the past, and I think it's in the manual, that you must turn off all firewalls and anti-virus before playing BF2.

It causes lag but I doubt it has anything to do with gfx bugs?

Comment

DONT TURN OFF YOUR FIREWALL! This is not recommended by EA, and your comp will become infected very quickly. I also leave my AV running, but have closed down all scheduled scans, on all programs including windows updates. This definately improved game performance.

Comment

Originally posted by broncobullfrog
        DONT TURN OFF YOUR FIREWALL! This is not recommended by EA, and your comp will become infected very quickly. I also leave my AV running, but have closed down all scheduled scans, on all programs including windows updates. This definately improved game performance.
        I'll try to track down the posts but EA USA and EA UK have at some stage told us to turn off firewall if you have problems with BF2.

I'm 99% sure that it says to turn off AV in the manual.

I have a PC with no firewall, no AV, connected to the 'net and it is in no way affected because no one surfs on it and I don't have any silly apps running on it which could be used to attack my PC. Without any ports being open that normally aren't I'm not too sure how you can get infected?

Comment

My firewall, Norton, has reported attacks on my computer 6 or 7 times while ive been in-game (with nothing else running). Its true that EA suggest turning off Anti-virus software, but i have tried this and can honestly say that i could detect no differance in performance between off/on. So i leave it on also.(this may not be the case for everyone).

Comment

Leave my McAfee VS and FW -ON-. Turn off
            only AV during some installations of important progs.

No difference in performance [or graphics] with both on
            or both off, besides the processes' memory taken up.

One thing that does bother me are the updates right
            in the middle of a match, minimizing the game and slowing it.
            Not to metion what it does to the install. :O
            Fixable, but no - I think my AV is mas importante anyway.

Comment

Yeah, that bothered me too, very annoying, like i said i've turned off every type of automatic scan and update so this doesn't happen anymore. Still get the problems when i have to install patches..

Graphical glitches? Can you tell more what you are experiencing plz. and what graphics card etc you have.

Comment

Holy **** if someone's dumb enough to turn off his fw for a game he deserves all the slammers he gets. Fw has neglible effect on gaming, and AV software can be instructed not to on-access scan files in bf2 dirs.

Comment

pertti_pasanenn you do realise that if you have XP patched properly then it doesn't matter what people try to scan you with? I have a test PC at work with no firewall that get's about 5 portscans per hour but no one has ever been able to 'hack' it as there are no exploits available to take advantage of.

Comment

Originally posted by ptegan
                    as there are no exploits available to take advantage of.
                    AT.
                    THE.
                    MOMENT.

Comment

Working...
                    X