Ram Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram Question

Will another 512mb of Ram imrpove my graphics??? My Specs r in my sig. Thanks.

Here is a SS of my graphics:

Re: Ram Question

bump.

Comment

Yes...In order to max out BF2 which you can't do becuase your CPU isn't that great niether is your GFX card you need 2 gig of ram. However adding more RAM will increase system speed and FPS, so in answer to your question yes it will improve your graphics but you still don't have a great system. Would save your money for a better system.

~Ownage

Comment

In your system right now the bottleneck is RAM.

Yes, getting more 512 MB RAM would help on your overall performance.

If you are later considering adding more RAM than the 2x512 MB RAM you plan to, consider the fact that it is better to have 2 sticks only. So getting 2x1GB now would be better, and not using the 512 MB stick. Depends on thye size of your wallet of course.

Comment

Well i have $225 dollers, i guess i culd get another gig of DDR 500, which will make it 1.5 gigs. Will then my setup run bf2 on high settings??

Comment

go for that 512!! and then save some more money to get 2 x 512...

Comment

Originally posted by SHAHEEN
              Well i have $225 dollers, i guess i culd get another gig of DDR 500, which will make it 1.5 gigs. Will then my setup run bf2 on high settings??
              You could try, but running 1x1GB and 1x512 MB could give you problems, like different RAM speeds and timings. Plus you won't be running Dual Channel when the sticks aren't identical.

If it doesn't work and is unstable, you can just get another 1x1GB stick later to add to the 1. Just make sure the are exact same speeds and timings, that will yeild the best results.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphexHunter
                go for that 512!! and then save some more money to get 2 x 512...
                IMO not a good idea, the four sticks would have to be similar for it to run optimal, and later it might not be easy to find matching sticks.

It puts more of a strain on the memmory controller with 4x512, and is slower, e.g. Command Rate would have to be 2T where it could be 1T.

Easier to shift to 1 + 512 or 1 + 1 now, than later getting 4x512 IMO.

Comment

I have no idea what you guys just said. Should i just get another 512mb matching stick i currently have?

Comment

Originally posted by OWNAGE TIME
                    Yes...In order to max out BF2 which you can't do becuase your CPU isn't that great niether is your GFX card you need 2 gig of ram. However adding more RAM will increase system speed and FPS, so in answer to your question yes it will improve your graphics but you still don't have a great system. Would save your money for a better system.

~Ownage
                    Ownage if you dont have anything productive to say, just dont speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny Highway
                      IMO not a good idea, the four sticks would have to be similar for it to run optimal, and later it might not be easy to find matching sticks.

It puts more of a strain on the memmory controller with 4x512, and is slower, e.g. Command Rate would have to be 2T where it could be 1T.

Easier to shift to 1 + 512 or 1 + 1 now, than later getting 4x512 IMO.
                      WTF....no way man my bro has 4 x 512 and works like my friend that has 2 x 1 gig and there is 0 problemes and all the same but anwyays i will be getthing a 2 x 1 gig to make 3 gigs... lol

Originally posted by SHAHEEN
                      I have no idea what you guys just said. Should i just get another 512mb matching stick i currently have?
                      Yess!! get it defenatly! you will not regret it there is a big jump between 512mb and 1gig it will improve speed, you can put graphics higher....I strongly recommand it!

Comment

Yes, save your money for something else in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphexHunter
                          WTF....no way man my bro has 4 x 512 and works like my friend that has 2 x 1 gig and there is 0 problemes and all the same but anwyays i will be getthing a 2 x 1 gig to make 3 gigs... lol
                          Great for your bro, but that doesn't change the fact that mixing RAM isn't a good idea. From a performance and stability pov, but mostly stability.

If your bro has identical RAM sticks it is less of a problem, but often ppl buy 2x512 and later buy 2x512 of a different kind and run into problems.

If anyone used pre-Venice / San Diego core AMDs that meant that using 4xRAM would cause PC3200 (400 MHz DDR) to run at 333 MHz which is not good.
                          With Venice and SD this has been fixed but there's still a less of a strain on a memory controller and command rate of only 1t with 2x1 GB than with 4x512.

Take a look in this thread on this very issue, with links to Corsair forum post also suggesting 2xRAM rather than 4xRAM:

And if we are talking OCing then you would always shoot for 2xRAM.

Comment

Allrite then, i guess i will go with another 512mb of ram and maybe sum new headphones. What settings do you think i can run with my settings with another 512mb of ram?

Comment

Working...
                            X