LOCERROR_unable to open current profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOCERROR_unable to open current profile

After installing this new patch I get this stupid message "LOCERROR_unable to open current profile. I have tryed ro reinstall everything and deleted all BF2-files but it doersnt work. Someone who can help me?

//Fysme

Re: LOCERROR_unable to open current profile

I'm getting the exact same message. I think mine might have something to do with my network setup. I'm using folder redirection with DFS for My Documents.

Funny thing, this worked fine before I installed SF and 1.12. It just stored all my settings inside the Battlefield 2 Program Files directory.

I may end up making a user account without folder redirection just to test. I submitted this problem to EA last night, we'll see if I get a reply.

Comment

I am getting the same error. I have uninstalled everything from my documents and the ea directories and reinstalled 5 times now. I have tried different directories, a different hd, I redownloaded the ex pack from ghey A err I mean EA. Nothing works I do not get the error if I fire up BF2 before installing the ex pack. I also put in a tech call to EA last night but considering my past dealings with them I am not counting on much. If I find a resolution I will post back here.

Comment

I'm also getting the same error.

Specs (short):

FX-55, 2GB RAM, 2x7800GT, 600W OCZ PSU, 24" TFT etc.

I also have my My Documenst folder set to a network drive location (specifically n:\ drive). For quite a while i've been getting odd error noises on exiting BF2 but other than that everything seems to be fine. Initial game load is slow but once first map is loaded its all good.

Is there any way to set BF2 to use an alternate Profile path? i.e. Not in My Docs folder? Must be in a registry setting or config file somewhere? Although i've not seen anything yet.

Mighty annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by ukdave

Specs (short):

I also have my My Documenst folder set to a network drive location (specifically n:\ drive). For quite a while i've been getting odd error noises on exiting BF2 but other than that everything seems to be fine. Initial game load is slow but once first map is loaded its all good.

Is there any way to set BF2 to use an alternate Profile path? i.e. Not in My Docs folder? Must be in a registry setting or config file somewhere? Although i've not seen anything yet.

Mighty annoying.
          I think it is hardcoded into the bf2.exe .

Personally I have moved my Windows account profile from C:\Documents and Settings\ to E:\PROFILES\MYUSERNAME . Not a roaming profile where it copies the contents to C:\Documents and Settings\ but actually loads from E: with first copying to C: .

In [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\] find the SID that is your user account profile, and edit ProfileImagePath to e.g. E:\Profiles\YOURUSERNAME . You must copy your folder to this folder of course. Do this from another Windows account in safe mode.

Not what you were looking for but an alternative to having user profile on C:

Comment

Fixed!!!!!

Thanks Gunny! I had my documents mapped to a network drive, I restored to the default and wallah. Thankyou soo much

Comment

Originally posted by ukdave

Specs (short):

Mighty annoying.
              I get those same noises on exit. I really don't want to exclude myself from folder redirection. Setting up a local account also sounds pretty lame to me. Mighty annoying indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny Highway
                I think it is hardcoded into the bf2.exe .

Personally I have moved my Windows account profile from C:\Documents and Settings\ to E:\PROFILES\MYUSERNAME . Not a roaming profile where it copies the contents to C:\Documents and Settings\ but actually loads from E: with first copying to C: .

In [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\] find the SID that is your user account profile, and edit ProfileImagePath to e.g. E:\Profiles\YOURUSERNAME . You must copy your folder to this folder of course. Do this from another Windows account in safe mode.

Not what you were looking for but an alternative to having user profile on C:
                That is really not an option to me. Someone who know how to move your profile in BF2?

Comment

Originally posted by Fysme
                  That is really not an option to me. Someone who know how to move your profile in BF2?
                  Yeah ditto. I can't move my profile. That means I have to manually log in every time and my fav servers don't get saved.

Anybody know what other limitations there will be?

Thanks

Comment

Anyone come up with anything? I did get a response from EA.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting EA technical support. I am sorry that you are having difficulty.

If your “My Documents” folder is not local i.e this folder is on a domain and accessed via a UNC path then this will not allow the game proper access to personal files/folders and is not supported to run in this manner. True BF2 worked like this but this is not supported with Special Forces. The same applies for installing the package in a custom location and NOT on the C: drive. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please respond back to me if you have anymore technical issues concerning this matter.
                    Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts!

Tak
                    EA Tech Support
                    I've asked if there are any plans to support this configuration.

Comment

This will most likley not be addressed in a patch because it was not in the design to work with networked drives. All you have to do is have a local copy and you should be right as rain again. Thank you for your patience.
                      This was my reply from EA.

I am ****ed as hell that I had a perfectly good game that worked last week until I installed this patch that was obviously rushed to market for Spec Forces.

Now about 2 months into having this game I can't play it the way I'd like to.

I made a local account on my computer and reinstalled the patch using the new local account. I have to log off and login with that special local account to play BF2. And yes that is SOO lame.

Comment

Wow that sucks... I did get another reply from EA. I asked if there were any plans to patch this or come up with a way to move the profile directory. Here's the response I got.

In all honesty, I am not certain why this type of installation is not supported. I am sorry for the inconvenience and I will be scanning forums to the best of my ability to see if anyone has accomplished this sort of set up. I will also attempt to bring this and other customer issues to the attention of those who are "in the know" at this time. This is because our concerns are shared as I have an affinity for this title myself!

Comment

Anyone know if this was resolved in recetn patch? (1.20)?

Comment

Nope. I talked with some people "in the know". They basically told me to give up or find a way around it. For the mean time I've made a generic user on my network without folder redirection. I have to say though... I haven't played since this became an issue.

I'll reiterate.. EA sucks.

Comment

Yeh that's what i've been doing. I've got to a stage (on my normal user account) where BF2 will at least not give the LOC error but it won't save any changes like favourites, controls etc. Strangely video is saved.

Comment

Working...
                              X