BF2 flaky since Halloween? Post if true for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 flaky since Halloween? Post if true for you

The last 2 weeks have been a nightmare for me. I've never, ever had a problem with BF2 since it first released, but since around the 30th of Halloween it has been crashing more often than not after a few second of joining a game.

I've made absolutely no changes to my PC on or before this day, or even to the in-game settings. Every single other game I have on my PC runs without crashing (COD2, Quake 4, WoW, IL2, LOMAC, etc, etc). BF2 is the ONLY game that crashes - and it only crashes during MULTIPLAYER. Play singleplayer and it works great for hours at a time. Try joining a variety of local servers, all based at different ISPs, and most times it crashes - it's a hard lock, sounds start looping and I can't even alt+tab or ctrl+alt+delete out of the game. I am forced to physically reboot my machine.

It's driving me nuts, as the game worked perfectly for months beforehand, yet now is totally flaky even though I've made no changes to my machine.

Things I've tried doing to fix it:

- increase RAM voltage
    - return video card to stock frequency
    - manually update punkbuster via Pweb
    - Tried different, latest drivers for video card and sound card
    - delete the BF2 profiles from My Documents (this appeared to work, for a couple of hours at least)
    - disabling ZoneAlarm (which had never been a problem in the past).

As I said, every single other game works perfectly for hours at a time, so I'm not convinced it's a problem. I'm a relatively computer savvy user, and have been a full-time IT journalist for over 5 years - PC gaming is my bread and butter, so please don't assume it's a user error.

I realise that not everybody is having this problem, as there seem to be plenty of people on the servers, so I'll post my hardware specs in case they might help - and yes, all drivers and BIOS revisions are totally up to date:

Athlon 64 3800+
    2GB DDR400 matched 1GB sticks (slightly increased voltage to increase stability)
    Albatron K8SLI nForce 4 SLI mobo
    Leadtek GeForce 7800GTX
    Creative ExtremeMusic X-Fi
    500W PSU
    2 x WD740 Raptor HDs in RAID 0 config
    WinXP Pro w/SP2
    All components at stock settings other than RAM voltage

So, who else is having this bizarre problem? Anybody else think it might have something to do with PunkBuster? Until this prob is solved, I'm forced to shelve my favourite title and play COD2 online, which I can play for 6 hours without a single crash...

Re: BF2 flaky since Halloween? Post if true for you

I see you're running RAIDed SATA's, are you sure these drivers are up-to-date?
    Your problem sounds exactly like one I had, and the solution was to update this driver.

Check in Device Manager, is the SATA RAID listed as "problematic" (i.e. yellow question/exclamation mark)? Either way, locate it, click Properties and try to click Update Driver. Let Windows connect to the Internet to search, and it should find the driver you need.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Berrern - thanks for you're post, but the RAID drivers are up to date, and my RAID controller shows up perfectly under Device Manager. Why would these drives work perfectly since BF2's release, yet suddenly stop working the last time there was a PunkBuster update? Why does every other game work perfectly? I know I'm not the only one with this problem, as lots of people all started getting weird crashes around this time, so I'm not convinced it's a configuration problem on my end.

Comment

It was punkbuster.

Update it manually now and you should be fine. They had a major screwup and caused LOTS of people hard lockups and reboots. It seems fine now.

Comment

Working...
        X