Throttle Control (mouse wheel / etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Control (mouse wheel / etc.)

Okay, the most annoying thing about flying a plane with the keyboard/mouse is that the controls re-center automatically. I can see that not re-centering the controls would make flying about impossible without a joystick (which mechanically centers the controls) but it sure would be nice to adjust the throttle and have it stay in one position rather than have to either hold it down or not. Basically, with the keyboard you have limited throttle control.

Has anyone figured out how to "hold" the throttle in a set position (example - half-throttle) with a keyboard? It would be convenient if hitting the "W" key increased the throttle 5% each time and the "S" decreased at the same rate. I know that this could be accomplished through software emulation - if you could somehow have a background program that emulated the throttle control on a joystick. In the same fashion, you could use the mouse wheel to accomplish the same feat.

BTW - I have a joystick, thank you, but find it inconvenient. Even with the joystick it is inconvenient to take you hand off the keyboard to change throttle position. The functionality of the joystick would be improved for those who already have their hand on the keyboard for rudder control.

Any ideas? constructive recommendations?

Re: Throttle Control (mouse wheel / etc.)

It's an arcade shooter, not a simulator. EA/DICE haven't put in sectioned throttle settings because that requires more coding. You'll just have to adapt. Be glad they made joystick support at all.

Comment

That is unfortunate since this is a PC game.

I did make some progress. There is a virtual joystick driver that you can use that allows you to map keys to joystick axis. I was able to successfully map the 'w' and 's' keys to the Z axis which is the throttle and tested it with the game controllers testing section under control panel in windows. Unfortunately, it does the same thing as Battlefield does, where you are either +100% or -100%.

I'll keep investigating though. There may be a solution out there somewhere.

Am I crazy or what - it just makes perfect sense to have a keyboard controlled proportional throttle rather than what exists.

Comment

hm.. i got a joystick but i dont use it since i cbf getting it off the top of my computer everytime i fly jet/heli, i find keyboard and mouse better, and who cares how fast u decrease, increase speed?

Comment

Originally posted by Bastian
          That is unfortunate since this is a PC game.

I did make some progress. There is a virtual joystick driver that you can use that allows you to map keys to joystick axis. I was able to successfully map the 'w' and 's' keys to the Z axis which is the throttle and tested it with the game controllers testing section under control panel in windows. Unfortunately, it does the same thing as Battlefield does, where you are either +100% or -100%.

I'll keep investigating though. There may be a solution out there somewhere.

Am I crazy or what - it just makes perfect sense to have a keyboard controlled proportional throttle rather than what exists.
          Your joystick doesnt have a throttle axis?
          What joystick do you have?

My joystick has a throttle bar..and you dont need a virtual driver, just double click a button in bf2 controls and move the joystick to set it to that...

ANd PS: There's a reason why pro's use joystick. Its better trust me, learn to use it. I used to be good with the keyboard. I got a joystick and I was like "WTF this thing blows Im doing worse". After about 6 hours flying with joystick, I've become an incredible pilot. Just today I got a score of 90 by flying in Gulf of Oman, and I didn't land one bomb on the enemy carrier.

Comment

Working...
          X