Game won't boot up !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game won't boot up !

Has anyone had this problem. I haven't played in 2 days and my computer has been off for those 2 days so none of the settings have changed. I put the cd in and hit "start BF2" button and the game acts like its going to start then it goes back to desktop. This happens before the EA logo and challenge everything voice even come on. Any advise or help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: Game won't boot up !

little more info might be helpful...o/s, rev level, etc?

also, did you change anything since the last time it worked? new programs installed?

i noticed this issue too before i rebuilt and i just kept trying to start the game - eventually i would get in...

what kind of vidcard do you have? nvidia or ati? i had ati and switched to nvidia at rebuild time... i read somewhere that this issue is edemic to ati versions (not all)...

(hopefully this gives you some places to start looking)

gl

Comment

Windows XP
      Pentium 4 3.2
      2 gigs ddr ram
      Ati X850xt
      I reinstalled it and it's still doing it. Also I did a system restore back to the day before i was last on and still nothing.
      This is starting to get frustrating. As far as it being ademic to Ati cards, do you know if it fixes it'self due to a small temporary glitch or do I need to do something to the card ?

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Comment

i get that all the time, just keep trying u'll eventually get in, usually takes me 2/3 times before the game starts.

Comment

I am reinstalling it now. Hopefully it'll work.

Comment

Originally posted by pureair23
            Windows XP
            Pentium 4 3.2
            2 gigs ddr ram
            Ati X850xt
            I reinstalled it and it's still doing it. Also I did a system restore back to the day before i was last on and still nothing.
            This is starting to get frustrating. As far as it being ademic to Ati cards, do you know if it fixes it'self due to a small temporary glitch or do I need to do something to the card ?

Thanks for taking the time to help.
            I just installed that exact card and BF2 works better then ever. I wish I had more of an answer for you. Did you try getting the latest Catalyst drivers from ATI?

I didn't even use the install disk that came with the X850 XT but went straight to the 5.10 drivers on-line and the Catalyst Control Center.

Comment

Didn't know 5.10 was out. I think I'm still on 5.8. I just reinstalled and the same ******** happens. I'll try the catalyst and see what happens.

Comment

Moved to client support.

Comment

Sounds like a Fire Wall problem. I bet the firewall is detecting the BF:2 wanting to connect and its not allowing it. So its probably shooting it right to desktop. Try shutting it off. Also shut off any other antivirus programs you have running in the background, because they have a history of CTD when certain programs try to access the net.

Sometimes Spyware can cause the CTD. Run a full system scan with like Spysweeper or another proggy like it (you can get that off download.com). I bet you find programs running causing problems and system slow downs.

One more thing. About a year ago I had a virus and everytime I tried to bootup a particular game it would CTD as well. So you might want to do a full system scan with your antivirus software at the same time you do your antispy scan as well. It might help.

Post back if it does or doesn't work.

Comment

Thanks, I'm trying the catalyst then i'll shut down the firewall and AV one at a time a see what happens.

Comment

I had this problem, frustrated me to no end.

This is how I fixed it..

Uninstall BF2
                      Manually Delete the BF2 folder in 'My Documents'
                      Reinstall
                      Reinstall patch
                      if that doesn't work, you can always try the above, as well as uninstalling/reinstalling drivers (using Driver Cleaner Pro).

Comment

Looks like I'm going to have to try that, where can I get driver cleaner pro. I tried the firewall and virus protection, updated to 5.10 and still the same problem.
                        If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know.

Comment

Re: Game won't boot up ! Still !!!!!!

o.k. I have deleted all related files, bf2, patches, pb and cleaned all the cache files. I reinstalled the game and the 1.03 patch and I'm still getting kicked back to desktop before I ever get in the game, before the EA games logo intro pops up. I also jumped back a few days in the system restore to the last day I was on. and still nothing. I'm frustrated as hell right now and can't figure out what is up. Does anyone else have a suggestion that hasn't been tried. This is crazy, one day it's fine, then the next nothing.

Comment

This is happening to me to, i just cant play the game, any help will be good......
                            My system is
                            p4 2.8
                            1 gig of ram
                            Asus p4p800 motherboard
                            GeForce ti4600 with lastest drivers
                            Win Xp pro

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by BiGBalZ
                              This is happening to me to, i just cant play the game, any help will be good......
                              My system is
                              p4 2.8
                              1 gig of ram
                              Asus p4p800 motherboard
                              GeForce ti4600 with lastest drivers
                              Win Xp pro

Cheers
                              Geforce 4 will not work with BF2.

Comment

Working...
                              X