hard drive experts, i need your help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard drive experts, i need your help!

i already have two 40 gb hds on my pc. i have a spare 30 gb lying around and i was wondering if i buy one of these on eBay:

how fast is the read/write (don't know the correct term)? like, if i have a 500 mb file on the external hd and i want to transfer that file to my pc, will it take hours or just minutes (i have a 1.8ghz pc w/ 1gb of ram)? i mean, how different is it speed-wise (or read/write access-wise) compared to an internal hd?

i can't put the third hd in my pc 'cos i'm also planning on putting some files/data/programs in it that i'll use for school. meaning, i'll take that hd to school. i was thinking of buying an external hd but buying one of these things is a lot cheaper and they seem pretty easy to assemble.

thoughts?

Re: hard drive experts, i need your help!

USB 2.0 has a raw data rate at 480Mbps. That will be the fastest that any USB2.0 device will ever be able to transmit data. That's fairly quick, but not nearly enough to work off of in real time. If you are going to try to run progams from the disk, you're going to be hurtin (depending on what the program is, of cource).

I have very little faith in a lot of these E-bay cheapo products. I've picked up a few that were utter crap when I got 'em. Read the shipping areas very carefully. With a "buy it now" price of 1 penny, they have to be making up their money somehow. More than likely, burning you on shipping over-charges.

Comment

Working...
    X