Helicopter controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helicopter controls

Had to reinstall BF2 the other day, which wiped out my control assignments, and I came across a control configuration that helped out my helicopter skills a little bit.

I currently use a Saitek Evo, and this joystick has a throttle control lever which I normally used to control accel/decel.

I mapped the controls for accel/decel to two buttons on the joystick (later two keys on the keyboard). For me, this allows a more controlled hovering ability. Because you can hit the accel key, rise to a certain altitude, release the key (torque will drop to zero), and instead of falling quickly you will automatically hover. You will gradually reduce altitude but there is a good delay. This way one has to push the decel key to lower altitude.

I always found myself trying to hit that sweet spot with the throttle control to be able to hover, and this makes it a lot easier IMO.

Those of you using keyboards for piloting already know this, but I found it to be a good trade-off for those using a joystick with the throttle lever.

Re: Helicopter controls

I found that gem a month ago. I would like to see more helo pilots using it when im the gunner.

Comment

good ol' keyboard an mouse is the best for choppers and air

Comment

Eh, I've tried it, and I found I'm better at finding my joystick's g-spot. I can drop to a hover with no problems. I don't like the on or off ability that keyboards give you, I like to accurately controll all my axes.

Comment

Choppers -> keboard for sure, Planes -> Joystick, just think how silly you look trying to barrel roll your plane with a mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Underpant
            Eh, I've tried it, and I found I'm better at finding my joystick's g-spot. I can drop to a hover with no problems. I don't like the on or off ability that keyboards give you, I like to accurately controll all my axes.
            G-spot :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd ID Crow
              Choppers -> keboard for sure, Planes -> Joystick, just think how silly you look trying to barrel roll your plane with a mouse.
              Perhaps I'll have to try using just the keyboard/mouse with the chopper again, I remember first starting out with just keyboard/mouse and it was hard to recover from a sloppy turn, or over adjustment...and there was usually a tree or building guiding my approach in! Since I've had more experience with the helo, perhaps it is time to give it a try again!

Yes, the barrel roll with the plane using the mouse was always an ill-fated adventure for me. Wasn't so much a roll, as it was a sharp dive with a turn added!

-sidenote-
              Anyone else use the Saitek Evo? I find the throttle lever to not respond very well. In that, I mean one has to move it up about 1/3 the way before the torque meter starts to respond and increase. The same can be said coming from the other direction. It's full range of motion does not seem to translate correctly to the torque meter on the HUD. Any recommended joysticks that don't seem to exhibit that behavior? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Fall0ut
                good ol' keyboard an mouse is the best for choppers and air

negative ghost rider the pattern is full.

Comment

Originally posted by bigpappa
                  negative ghost rider the pattern is full.
                  "mother goose, you p***y!"

I never sucked so bad at an aspect of a game as I do at choppers. Time to get a 4 hour block and roll with it on a local server...

Comment

Originally posted by PVTcorbin
                    -sidenote-
                    Anyone else use the Saitek Evo? I find the throttle lever to not respond very well. In that, I mean one has to move it up about 1/3 the way before the torque meter starts to respond and increase. The same can be said coming from the other direction. It's full range of motion does not seem to translate correctly to the torque meter on the HUD. Any recommended joysticks that don't seem to exhibit that behavior? Thanks!
                    I've a Saitek Evo Wireless and the throttle works fine. Maybe you experience such weird stuff because your stick is broken? Or you missed to center the throttle?

The throttle has to be centered to be at thrust 0%. If you pull it up to its maximun it has 100% and down to the bottom it's at -100%.

You've surely experienced this too. If you take a jet and your throttle is at -100% (full down) it will start to roll backwards. Maybe that's the reason why it feels inaccurate for you.

Moreover for me the throttle control works very precise. I can control the thrust of a heli to 1% accurate (e.g. hovering with 24% thrust, 25%, 33%, whatsoever).

Edit: Forgot to mention: the throttle of aircarfts and helicopters are a little different (at least when using a Saitek Cyborg) to each other: the aircraft throttle needs to be centered to be on 0% (that might be the reason why you have to pull the thrust so much up before the jet starts moving) but for helicopters the thrust is at 0% when the throttle is full down.

Don't want to mix things here /Edit

cheers

Comment

I use buttons on my joystick for accel/decel too. I used to use the throttle slider but I found the buttons to be much better for me. The buttons are completely care free.

Comment

Working...
                      X