could the ram be the problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could the ram be the problem?

could my ram, which is sh!tty, it came with my HP, be the problem of not running good all high. on all highed, my fps is between 20 - 50.

Re: could the ram be the problem?

yeah, if i had your card i would get 2 gb of ram

Comment

Never run all on high with less than 2GB of RAM.

Comment

then why do i see people saying that they are running all high with 6800gt's and 1 gb ram. i think most of these ppl are getting 40-60 fps. on medium, i get 60 - 100 fps. soo if i got another gig of ram, would i get like 60- 100 fps maxed?

Comment

Most likely your ram is a cheap type with high timings. This has an affect on performance. Usually computers like HP have very few BIOS settings to tweak the performance.

The BIOS of the HP might be able to adjust memory timings according to any new memory sticks you buy. Before you do that I recommend that you try to find out what timings your current memory is using. CPU-Z or Lavalyst Everest Home Edition can give you that information. Also check if your HP has an AGP Aperture setting as this should be set to 256MB with a 7800GT card. I also recommend that you turn some settings like geometry and texture quality to medium as long as you have only 1GB ram. I run terrain on high, the rest on medium except texture filtering on high and view distance 100%.

Comment

my video card is pci-e, so i dont think it will have agp aperture size. ill check next time i boot in the bios. here are my timings.

also, i forgot what button do u press when u boot, del or f12?

Comment

Forget the AGP thing I forgot about the 7800 being PCI-E..

Those memory timings are damn high! A good pair of memory sticks would have 5-2-2 CAS 2 at 200Mhz. I can't say exactly how much of a perfomance increase you would get but if you want to run graphic settings on high I would recommend a pair of 1GB sticks with 5-2-2 CL2 timings or as close as possible like 5-3-2 CL2.

Comment

what are these timings representing and which timings are you looking at?

Comment

The most important timings are Cycle time (Tras) should be 5 or as close as possible, Ras precharge should be 2, Ras to Cas delay should be 2 or max 3 and Cas latency should be 2..

They have to do with how long the prosessor waits to access the memory. These settings are the most important out of a total of 12 or so.

Comment

Hi there
                    If i see the mumber of your part
                    It's only one stick of 1 gig mem
                    And don't trust :ar15: CPU-Z
                    Go too the Infinnion site and chek that out
                    But beuy a kit whith 2gig mem with the cas 2 and then manualy set the timing according too the manufactor alsoo check the voltage off the mem
                    I have got the kingston and had too set the voltage higher
                    PS you dont get dual channel with 1 stick off mem
                    It takes 2 too tango

FX@2600 /// x800XT /// 2gig

Comment

Your FPS is way too low. Do a google for "everest home edition", and download it. If you post a hardware report for me, I may be able tell you whats wrong.

Comment

Sorry i have got mixed up
                        There are twoo sticks in your sys
                        But CPU-Z show's a part nr with hu5b there also is a 5c sorry :wall:
                        Any way whats your mobo and what bios have you got ??
                        And make the Aperture setting too 128 MB in bios , its got nothing too doo with the mem on your video card
                        You can also check this site
                        http://www.tweakguides.com/
                        And wait whith the new NVIDEA drivers they are not that good:laugh:

Comment

Working...
                        X