Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 undocumented audio.con settings you can play with...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 undocumented audio.con settings you can play with...

I've been trying to diagnose an irritating sporadic soft-clicking noise in BF2 when the hardware sound option is selected, and in doing so found a couple of additional audio.con settings you can play with (if your a dork like me).

AudioSettings.setAlwaysAllowSystemOpenAL 1

This does 2 things as far as I can tell:

1) Allows you to select Creative X-Fi and UltraHigh even if you do not have an X-Fi card. But still loads BF2OpenAL.dll rather than OpenAL32.dll in the system directory. Selecting X-Fi will enable EAX 5.0 if allowed by the current drivers, and the current drivers only allow EAX 5.0 for X-Fi cards. If EAX 5.0 is not allowed, then BF2 uses EAX 3.0.

2) If you do have an X-Fi card, then BF2.exe loads the OpenAL32.dll directly from the system directory. BF2OpenAL.dll is the BF2 directory is ignored completely. If you've already replaced BF2OpenAL.dll w/the latest OpenAL32.dll as you should (if you want real hardware acceleration), then this param should do anything for you.

AudioSettings.setForceNumberOfVoices x

This lets you specify the number of channels (ie. number of simultaneous sounds) used in the game. Low and Medium both use 16 channels, High is 32 channels, and I'm pretty certain that UltraHigh is 64 channels.

If you set it to 1 then you will indeed hear only 1 sound at any one time. And if you specify 64 channels and have an Audigy2 ZS (which I have and is only capable of 63 channels max), then there are missing sounds in game, eg. start a single player game w/32 bots on Karkand map and get into the middle of the action. Start firing away in single shot mode and notice your gun shot sounds dropping in and out.

In fact, anything higher than 58 results in sporadic missing sounds w/my Audigy2 ZS based on my testing. I've had it set to 48 for a while, but am not sure if it really makes much of a difference with my Audidy2 ZS. X-Fi is capable of 127 simultaneous sounds, btw.

Re: 2 undocumented audio.con settings you can play with...

Neat stuff! thanks!!

Comment

Good find but do you have to replace the BF2OpenAl.dll with OpenAl32.dll by renaming it to BF2OpenAl or do you leave the name as OpenAl32?

Comment

Could be the lack of sleep or heavy ganja smoking but i set the chanels to 48 on my audigy 2 and set it to x-fi ultraHigh and it sounds better . Thanks :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :banana: :banana:

Comment

Originally posted by trojan_source
          I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
          That was so sad

Comment

Originally posted by Talus
            That was so sad
            I got to see my River, thats all I wanted

And I cant get the OpenAL32.dl file to work. If I use it to replace the BF2OpenAL.dll file, when I run a game I get bsod an my pc reboots.

Comment

What card do you have? Audigy2 ZS?

If Audigy2 ZS, make sure you using the very latest drivers from Creative site (5.12.1.1162) and also the very latest OpenAL library. Do this is this order:

1) Install 5.12.1.1162 drivers

2) Download and run OpenAL installer: http://developer.creative.com/articl...&top=38&aid=46

3) Now copy OpenAL32.dll from system directory to BF2OpenAL.dll in BF2 directory. OpenAL32.dll and your new BF2OpenAL.dll should both now be version 6.14.357.11.

Comment

I get the crackles on my Audigy WHEN I use the OpenAL32.dll and NOT when I'm using the original BF2OpenAl.dll

Comment

No wonder, Ive been dl'ing the A2ZS Gamer drivers which are severly outdated. Sheesh!

Is there a special way to remove the current drivers or is it just add/remove programs?

Comment

Don't use Driver Cleaner for Creative drivers...it screws things up.

Just Add/Remove and then reboot when asked. Then re-install new drivers and reboot when asked.

PS - those River sequences ROCKED!

Comment

Which one is 5.12.1.1162?

Comment

Comment

What is the other file? The one labeled:

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 and Audigy2 ZS Driver Update 1.84.55 (16.34 MB)

Comment

The old non-betas (i.e. official driver set). No OpenAL support.

Comment

Originally posted by Talus
                              I get the crackles on my Audigy WHEN I use the OpenAL32.dll and NOT when I'm using the original BF2OpenAl.dll
                              Yeah, same. It only occurs w/hardware sound. If you use the original BF2OpenAL.dll that ships w/BF2 (which is a copy of wrap_oal.dll), then you are in fact using Software even though you select Hardware in options, ie. using that dll is exactly the same thing as replacing it w/OpenAL32.dll and then selecting software.

Unless you replace the original BF2OpenAL.dll (which is a software wrapper) with the OpenAL router dll (ie. OpenAL32.dll from system directory), you can not get any hardware-accelerated sounds. I'm still confused as to why Dice is doing this, even after 2 patch opportunities to replace the forced software wrapper w/the router dll which allows hardware or software OpenAL.

Comment

Working...
                              X