Saitek X-45 Throttle Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saitek X-45 Throttle Trouble

I hooked up my venerable X-45 HOTAS setup from my Mechwarrior 4 days and everything works great, except for the throttle. Instead of having a throttle that starts at the lowest setting to the highest (depressed full forward on the stick), zero is with the throttle at the 50% position. Positive throttle is anything forward of the 50% position, and reverse the opposite direction. This makes for a very finicky forward throttle, and an ackward reverse position.

Has anyone had a similar problem with any other joysticks, and if so, suggestions on how to correct it?

Re: Saitek X-45 Throttle Trouble

You need to use a game profile to correct for this. Because BF2 has both a forwards and backwards on its planes (for the VTOL on the JSF mainly) the default for most joysticks is 50% in each direction which is logical. But if you setup a profile it will essentially trick the computer into thinking that above 20% you're pressing the accelerate button, and below 20% you're pressing the decelerate (reverse) button.

Comment

Unfortunately I already tried that. There seems to be no way to adjust the 50% mark on the throttle axis. While you can set the throttle to mimic bands (I.E. 0-20% = keypress "S", 21-100% = keypress "W"), this causes all sorts of problems in game as the keypresses are detected constantly. The same goes with setting the throttle to mimic the mouse axis. The inputs tend to play havoc on the rest of the game.

The throttle does work as stated in my previous post, so I guess I will just have to improvise, adapt, and overcome with the touchy lil' bugger. It does kind of rock with the JSF, as you can slide the throttle to the zero mark and instantly transition to VTOL mode.

Comment

Well, tried a different route. I mapped the throttle to one of the rotary dials on the throttle proper. Great control and way better responsiveness than with the throttle stick itself.

Thanks for the input though. Now if I can just learn to hover without killing myself.

Comment

Originally posted by CSA_Bongo_TauKat
          Well, tried a different route. I mapped the throttle to one of the rotary dials on the throttle proper. Great control and way better responsiveness than with the throttle stick itself.

Thanks for the input though. Now if I can just learn to hover without killing myself.

Good to hear you got it fixed.

Comment

Working...
          X