Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some fix actions for patch failed error (v1.03)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some fix actions for patch failed error (v1.03)

Here I have listed a few possible fix actions for those who get the patch failed error when trying to install 1.03. Unfortunately none of these worked for me but maybe it will help some of you out. These came directly from EA support…. Another unfortunate thing is that they gave up on me, but I don’t care anymore… I moved on to bigger better things and now boycotting EA games. This will be my last post.

Good luck.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts. I’m sorry for the difficulty that you are having with Battlefield 2.

In order to install the update you will need to ensure you have at least 2.5 GB free space. Although all of this space will not be used, the patch files need the extra space to decompress during the install process.

To check your current free hard drive space:

1. Open My Computer.
    2. Right-click on your hard drive and choose Properties.
    3. Your Free space will be listed in both bytes (the large number) and either MB (megabytes) or GB (gigabytes).

Free space should read as 2.5 GB or more on the drive where the operating system is installed to install the patch.

If you still get the error, you may have a corrupt download of the patch. Try downloading the patch from one of the other download locations listed for the update on http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/battlefield2/us/downloads.jsp.

If you have been trying to run the patch from another drive, try copying the patch to the drive where the Battlefield 2 is installed and try patching from there. If this does not work, try moving the patch file into the Battlefield 2 installation folder and run the patch from there.

Please try these troubleshooting steps one by one and see if it resolves the issue:

Make sure that you have closed any programs or tasks running in the background as sometimes one of the programs can conflict with the game. Background applications such as anti-virus programs are often the cause of conflicts.

• Hold down the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys at the same time
    • Click the "Processes" tab.
    • Click on the gray bar in the middle column that says User Name to sort by user name.
    • Do NOT select anything for SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE, or NETWORK SERVICE.
    • Click on anything besides EXPLORER and TASKMGR for this User Name or other user names.
    • Click on END PROCESS
    • Repeat these steps until only explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe are open for this user profile.

Also try to manually disable any anti-virus programs that are currently running in your system prior to running your game as these programs are more than likely to interfere with proper gameplay and/or installation... And more often than not, these processes are not running under your account name. That is why you cannot seem to disable these programs.

1. Click on the Start button.
    2. Click on the My Documents icon.
    3. Right-click on the Battlefield2 folder.
    4. Select delete.
    5. Try the game again.

You can manually uninstall the game by removing the files and registry keys associated with it. Be sure to follow these steps exactly as they appear to prevent accidental file/program deletion on your system.

To delete the save files:

1. Open My Documents.
    2. Right-click on the Battlefield 2 folder and choose Delete.

To delete the game files (in the default location):

1. Open My Computer.
    2. Open the C drive.
    3. Open the Program Files folder.
    4. Open the EA GAMES folder.
    5. Right-click on the Battlefield 2 folder and choose Delete.
    6. Close all open windows.
    7. Right-click on the Recycle Bin and choose Empty Recycle Bin.

To edit the registry and remove Battlefield 2:

1. Click on the Start button.
    2. Click on Run.
    3. Type regedit in the text field.
    4. Click File and then choose Export.
    5. Name the file Backup and make sure the Export Range is set to All.
    6. Click Save; you will now be returned to the Registry Editor window.
    7. Click the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    8. Click the plus sign next to Software.
    9. Click the plus sign next to DICE.
    10. Right-click on the Battlefield 2 folder and choose Delete.
    11. Click the plus sign next to Electronic Arts.
    12. Right-click and choose Delete on any Battlefield 2 folders.
    13. Click the plus sign next to Microsoft.
    14. Click the plus sign next to Windows.
    15. Click the plus sign next to CurrentVersion.
    16. Click the plus sign next to Uninstall.
    17. Right-click and choose Delete on the key named {04858915-9F49-4B2A-AED4-DC49A7DE6A7B}.
    18. Close the Registry Editor.

Battlefield 2 should now be completely uninstalled. If anything appears to be working incorrectly after editing the registry, simply double-click on the Backup file on your desktop to restore the old registry.

Should you require further assistance about this or any Electronic Arts games in the future please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledgebase (http://support.ea.com)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts. I’m sorry for the difficulty that you are having with Battlefield 2.

Does the patch always fail at that particular file? If yes, you may have to perform a manual uninstall of the game to reset any game files that may have become corrupted and is not allowing the proper patching of the game. The instructions are as follows:

You can manually uninstall the game by removing the files and registry keys associated with it. Be sure to follow these steps exactly as they appear to prevent accidental file/program deletion on your system.
    To delete the save files:
    Open My Documents.
    Right-click on the Battlefield 2 folder and choose Delete.
    To delete the game files (in the default location):
    Open My Computer.
    Open the C drive.
    Open the Program Files folder.
    Open the EA GAMES folder.
    Close all open windows.
    Right-click on the Recycle Bin and choose Empty Recycle Bin.
    To edit the registry and remove Battlefield 2:
    Click on the Start button.
    Click on Run.
    Type regedit in the text field.
    Click File and then choose Export.
    Name the file Backup and make sure the Export Range is set to All.
    Click Save; you will now be returned to the Registry Editor window.
    Click the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    Click the plus sign next to Software.
    Click the plus sign next to DICE.
    Click the plus sign next to Electronic Arts.
    Right-click and choose Delete on any Battlefield 2 folders.
    Click the plus sign next to Microsoft.
    Click the plus sign next to Windows.
    Click the plus sign next to CurrentVersion.
    Click the plus sign next to Uninstall.
    Right-click on the key named {04858915-9F49-4B2A-AED4-DC49A7DE6A7B} andchoose Delete.
    A Confirm Key Delete window will appear, choose Yes.
    Close the WindowsRegistry Editor.
    Battlefield 2 is now completely removed from your system.

Should you require further assistance about this or any Electronic Arts games in the future please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledgebase (http://support.ea.com)

Jonas M.
    EA Technical Support

Hello,

If you still get the error, you may have a corrupt download of the patch. Try downloading the patch from one of the other download locations listed for the update on http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/battlefield2/us/downloads.jsp.

If you have been trying to run the patch from another drive, try copying the patch to the drive where the Battlefield 2 is installed and try patching from there. If this does not work, try moving the patch file into the Battlefield 2 installation folder and run the patch from there.

Additionally, please check the path of the directory that the patch is installing to. To do this, kindly follow the steps below:

Click on Run.
    Click the plus sign next to EA Games.
    Click the plus sign next to Battlefield 2.
    Click the Battlefield 2 folder once.
    On the right side of the panel, you'll see a file named 'InstallDir'.
    Double-click on the 'InstallDir' file.
    The Edit String Message Box should pop up.
    On the Value Data text box, the path should read X:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2.
    The InstallLocation field’s data of : X:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2 should not have anything at the end.

Try the patch again.

Jonas M.
    EA Technical Support

Hello!

Thank you for contacting us here at Electronic Arts Technical Support. I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles with the Battlefield 2 patch.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you, we appreciate the opportunity to help resolve your issue. Do you still encounter the CD key error when trying to login to the Battlefield 2 account servers?

Sometimes a conflict in the updated files can prevent the game from properly identifying your CD-key. Usually, refreshing your CD-key will resolve the issue. Note that this will only correct the error if you used the same Windows account to install, patch, and troubleshoot the game. If you have switched Windows accounts at any point it is recommended you uninstall, reinstall, and repatch using the same Windows login.

Open My Computer.
    Open the EA Games folder.
    Open the Battlefield 2 folder.
    Open the Support folder.
    Double-click on the Battlefield 2_code.exe.
    Type in your CD-key as listed on the back of the manual and click Next.
    The window will close (your serial number is now refreshed in the registry).
    If you still experience the error, trying reinstalling the patch files to correct any improper updates. The 1.03 patch is located on the Battlefield 2 downloads page.

Please click here to go to the Battlefield 2 downloads page.
    http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/battlefield2/us/downloads.jsp

If the issue persists, you will need to uninstall the game completely and then reinstall and repatch to completely remove and replace corrupted files.

Please click here for instructions on manually uninstalling the game from your system.
    http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=8986&p_created=1119312427

Please email us about any significant change or development with your issue. If you experience any further difficulties in this matter please let us know.

Vincent A.
    Electronic Arts Technical Support

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts Technical Support. I am sorry for the difficulty that you are having with Battlefield 2. I appreciate your bringing this issue to our attention.

If the patching fails even after ensuring you have at least 2.5 GB free, we can try to uninstall then reinstall the game on a different Windows profile account with Administrator rights. Please manually uninstall the game. Then, remove your temp files. You may then create a new Administrator account and reinstall your game under that new account.

Here are the steps on how to create a new Administrator account.

Click on Control Panel.
    Locate the small Control Panel sub-window at the top left of the window.
    If it says Switch to Category View, you are in the correct viewing mode.
    If it says Switch to Classic View, click on the text to switch to the correct view.
    Double-click on the User Accounts icon.
    Click on the Add button.
    Choose a user name and password.
    Make sure to give the account full Administrator abilities.
    Once the account is created, you will be able to restart and log in with the new Administrator account.

Before installing and patching the game, please make sure that you have closed any programs or tasks running in the background as sometimes one of the programs can conflict with the game. Background applications such as anti-virus programs are often the cause of conflicts.

• Click on the gray bar in the middle column that says User Name to sort by user name.
    • Click on anything besides EXPLORER and TASKMGR for this User Name or other user names.
    • Click on END PROCESS
    • Repeat these steps until only explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe are open for this user profile.

Please let me know how this goes.

For further assistance about any Electronic Arts games please visit our extensive Self Help knowledge base. (http://support.ea.com)

Cesar
    EA Technical Support

Hello,

Good day!

Sometimes a conflict in the updated files can prevent the game from properly identifying your CD-key. Usually, refreshing your CD-key will resolve the issue. Note that this will only correct the error if you used the same Windows account to install, patch, and troubleshoot the game. If you have switched Windows accounts at any point it is recommended you uninstall, reinstall, and repatch using the same Windows login.

Open My Computer.
    Open the EA Games folder.
    Open the Battlefield 2 folder.
    Open the Support folder.
    Double-click on the Battlefield 2_code.exe.
    Type in your CD-key as listed on the back of the manual and click Next.
    The window will close (your serial number is now refreshed in the registry).
    If you still experience the error, trying reinstalling the patch files to correct any improper updates. The 1.03 patch is located on the Battlefield 2 downloads page.

Click here to go to the Battlefield 2 downloads page (http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/battlefield2/us/downloads.jsp)
    If the issue persists, you will need to uninstall the game completely and then reinstall and repatch to completely remove and replace corrupted files.

Click here for instructions on manually uninstalling the game from your system (http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=8986&p_created=1119312427).

Again I am sorry for any inconvenience this has brought you. Please do email me for any concerns in the future. I hope to hear any feedbacks on the result of the issue. Thanks! Have fun with the game.

Maricelle
    EA Games Technical Support

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts Technical Support.

I am sorry for the difficulty that you are having with Battlefield 2 for the PC . I apologize for the previous troubleshooting steps that did not work. How many times have you tried installing the patch already?

Please try the following steps that might help resolve your issue:

Why is there a 'Patch Failed' error message?
    http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=10670&p_created=1121806591&p_s id=*NfwtZRh&p_lva=10959&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X 2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjAmcF9wcm9kcz0 3LDEwMDMmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0yLjEwMDMmcF9jdj0mcF9zZ WFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZ wX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXBhdGNo&p_li=&p_topview=1

Hopefully these suggestions will be of service to you. Thank you for your time and patience.

Should you require further assistance about this or any Electronic Arts games in the future please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledgebase http://support.ea.com/

Dj
    EA Technical Support

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us here at Electronic Arts Technical Support.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties with the game. Please check your game version. This can be found at the lower left hand corner of the Main screen under the Quit button.
    Un-patched version of the game is 1.0.2442.0
    Patched version 1.1 is 1.1.2475.0
    Patched version 1.02 is 1.1.2484.0
    Patched version 1.03 is 1.1.2551.0
    Patch 1.03 is a stand alone patch meaning it can be used with or without the other patches.

To install patch 1.03 make sure that you have closed any programs or tasks running in the background as sometimes one of the programs can conflict with the game. Background applications such as anti-virus programs are often the cause of conflicts.

• Click on END PROCESS

Please check the path of the directory that the patch is installing to. To do this, kindly follow the
    steps below:

Click on Run.
    Click the plus sign next to EA Games.
    Click the plus sign next to Battlefield 2.
    Click the Battlefield 2 folder once.
    On the right side of the panel, you'll see a file named 'InstallDir'.
    Double-click on the 'InstallDir' file.
    The Edit String Message Box should pop up.
    On the Value Data text box, the path should read X:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2.
    The InstallLocation field’s data of : X:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2 should not have anything
    at the end.

If the issue continues to manifest, you can manually install the patch files.

Run the 1.03 patch installer again and select the language.
    Click Next, and then stop on the 'Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard for Battlefield 2 Patch v1.03' screen.
    Click on Start and then Run.
    Type %temp% in the Run box and hit Enter.
    Click on View at the top of the window and choose Arrange Icons By and then Modified.
    Scroll to the end of the list. The last folder icon should have an alpha-numeric code for the name such as {3D3B4B03-9974-4B03-B7B2-FAB1919C8E3D}. This code name is randomly generated per system, but should be the last folder listed.
    Open this folder.
    There should be another alpha-numeric named folder inside. Open this folder.
    Click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Select All.
    Click on Edit again and choose Copy.
    Close all open windows except for the installer.
    Open My Computer and navigate to the game folder.
    By default this is C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2.
    Once in the Battlefield 2 folder, right-click on an empty space in the window and choose Paste. This should copy the patch files to the game folder.
    Double-click on the Patch.exe file (the icon for this file looks like a window). This should be one of the files copied over.
    This will prompt the files to update. When it completes patching, you may close the installer window.
    You should now be patched to version 1.03.

Should you require further assistance about this or any Electronic Arts games in the future please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledgebase http://ea.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=10914

Please email us about any significant change or development with your issue.
    Thank you for choosing EA Games!

Victor O
    Electronics Arts Technical Support

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us here at Electronic Arts Technical Support.

Let's try installing the patch under Safe Mode. We can try booting into Safe Mode with these instructions.

If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
    Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
    Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
    Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
    Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
    When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

To use the System Configuration Utility method

Close all open programs.
    Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG in the box and click OK
    The System Configuration Utility appears, On the BOOT.INI tab, Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK and Restart your computer when prompted.
    The computer restarts in Safe mode.
    Perform the troubleshooting steps for which you are using Safe Mode.
    When you are finished with troubleshooting in Safe mode, open MSCONFIG again, on the BOOT.INI tab, uncheck "/SAFEBOOT" and click OK to restart your computer

Raniel S.
    EA Technical Support

Re: Some fix actions for patch failed error (v1.03)

lol, hold on you think those are people responding to your e-mails? lolololololol ahahahahahahaaha thats the best joke I've heard in ages!

Comment

ok jackass....

Comment

Settle down there champ, it was a joke. As in EA Tech suppor blows my ass.

Comment

Yes… the do suck goat balls…

Comment

Working...
          X