2nd Hand Copy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Hand Copy

Hi, has anyone bought a 2nd hand copy of BF2? I am wondering if the previous owner used the key, would it still be useable for me? If not, is there anyway to get around it? and be able to use it online?

thanks for the help

Re: 2nd Hand Copy

I would contact EA and tell them the key has been compromised.

They will probably ask for proof of purchase, photos of the CDs and the CD key and should re-issue you a new key and disable the old one.

Comment

ok, thanks for the info Talus, appreciate it.

Comment

you actually think they would go as far as ask for pictures, seems like it would be like a mail-in rebate type deal where they just ask you to send in a reciept and bar code along with the old cd-key of course.

Comment

Yeah..otherwise people could just steal other people's CD keys and get new ones and have the old one's locked from the actual owner.

Showing photographic proof of the retail box, manual, and CD key is pretty much the only way I'd imagine they'd issue a new key.

When I bought Star Wars: Galaxies, I had issues with my CD key...they asked me to photograph the box, CDs, manual, and receipt and e-mail it to them. Within minutes, I received a new CD key (as a bonus, the key they gave me was from the collectors edition version even though I didn't buy the collector's edition). I was happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt_Chris
            you actually think they would go as far as ask for pictures, seems like it would be like a mail-in rebate type deal where they just ask you to send in a reciept and bar code along with the old cd-key of course.
            The do, I have done it before. They usually ask you to scan or take photos of the discs along with P.O.P.

Comment

the cd key is a local thing. if you change it to another computer, ea doesn't know and it will work just fine. infact i let my buddy use my cd key on his comp at his house. he signed in with a different account that i did, and it worked just fine.

the account that you log into the bf2 servers with DOES NOT HAVE YOUR CD KEY INFO, so you can log into multiple accounts, with different cd keys.

you should be fine to just use it.

your cd key is in the registry and can be changed. it is used to differentiate yourself from others on a particular sever. in fact, before i got two cd keys, i had rhohaness' comp with my cd key, and a different log in, and she was able to play on different servers than me, but not the same one. you should be fine unless the previous owner somehow logs into the same server as you at the same time, which is not very likely.

Comment

Originally posted by rhohan
                the cd key is a local thing. if you change it to another computer, ea doesn't know and it will work just fine. infact i let my buddy use my cd key on his comp at his house. he signed in with a different account that i did, and it worked just fine.

the account that you log into the bf2 servers with DOES NOT HAVE YOUR CD KEY INFO, so you can log into multiple accounts, with different cd keys.

you should be fine to just use it.
                What you say about CD keys not being linked to accounts is true.

BUT..if the ORIGINAL owner of the game logs in to ANY account using that CD key, it will lock out the NEW owner...get it?

There can only be ONE account per ONE cd key logged into BF2 at any one time.

Comment

Working...
                X