Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading

Hello!

Recently, I was throwing around the idea of buying a completely new system, since I, and others drilled it into my head that Dell sucks.. but.. I figured I may as well upgrade for now and build a new system later down the road!

First.. I know what kind of RAM I have.. but I do not know the brand name.. would it be okay if I bought another brand, but the same type?

Second.. how much of a performance gain is there between a 7800 GT, or a GTX. I heard a GT is better if you don't plan on playing above resolutions such as 1600 x 1200, and I normally play at 1024x1280.

Currently I'm running a Dell Dimension 9100 desktop.. 3.00 GHz CPU, nVidia GeForce 6800 and 1 gig of ram.. I want to upgrade to..

3.00 GHz CPU
    nVidia 7800 GT
    2 GIG RAM
    I figger' I could nahdle all High settings with this set up.. what do yah think? ALso, what brand of 7800's do you rec.?

Cheers!

Re: Upgrading

IF you couldnt run that on full, i have a super system.

Comment

i just built me a new system for 1600 and it is perfect.(runs bf2 all on high) 7800GT(EVGA),, amd athlon 64 bit 6800+ san diego(<- i think) 2 gigs. ASUS motherboard(whatever the latest one is)74 gig 10000 RPM RAPTOR HD. and all of that complimented with an aspire case.(latest tower w/a 520 watt PSU). (that is uust the main parts of my system) anyway you should custom build it at www.newegg.com best place to go.

Comment

You should be able to run all high settings with just another gig of RAM. I have the 6800GT, but run at 1280x1024 with everything set to high and 4x AA

Comment

Still,

If I bought the same type of RAM, but not the same brand, would it work?

Comment

it would be best if u buy the same brand of ram cause diff brands may be set up a lil diff maybe causeing some conflict or something.

Comment

Originally posted by punisher18
              (EVGA),, amd athlon 64 bit 6800+ san diego(<- i think)
              ROFL! and i have a Fx-68 lol

Comment

Originally posted by Sir.BOBSONATOR025
                ROFL! and i have a Fx-68 lol
                My FX-90 pwns you all.

Comment

3.00 GHz CPU
                  nVidia 7800 GT
                  bad combination here man, that 3.00Ghz CPU is going to break down your 7800GT , I understand you are keeping your curent CPU and this is an intel because no AMD runs on that speed.

But, I see you want an 7800GT , these only come in PCI-e , I think your PC has AGP , meaning youy need to change the motherboard, meaning you could go for an AMD platform with an 3800+ on it or something, this in combination with a 7800GT would work just perfectly.

About the ram, you can mix brands as much as you like, you can even put lower graded RAm in it, the highest RAm will adjust itself to the lowest , wich is good for beeing compatible but bad for prestations.

Comment

Nope, I have a PCI-E slot.

But would the CPU really bottleneck the 7800?

Comment

Originally posted by Garabaldi

Probably, might wanna consider switching to amd down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Garabaldi

100% shure , for a 7800GT many reviewers recomend a min CPU with 3500+ rating or even higher, for the GTX 3800+ rating or higher.

Comment

Working...
                        X