No announcement yet.

Spotting, why does no one have a clue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotting, why does no one have a clue?

Suffered through about an hour on Wake today with a clueless commander and not too much better for the whole team.

Spotting 101 for soldiers;

If you put your target clearly in the yellow circle and simply click, the target will be called out properly and lit up on everyone's mini-map for long enough to matter.

Spotting 101 for commanders;

If you call a target after a Radar scan while the targets are still red and for a few seconds after....the targets will be named but they will not light up on mini-maps and no one will have any clue as to where in the world they may be.

Translation; pointless, annoying, and of zero benefit to your team.

All game long the commander's going "enemy infantry......" with nothing at all showing up on mini-map. Fellow soldiers were no better, yeah sure 'hostile armor' somewhere on the north half of the map.

I realize no one is reading the manual but how long does it take for you to recognize A) the mini-map B) the importance of the mini-map & C) that you don't have to scroll the identity of the target.

/ rant

Re: Spotting, why does no one have a clue?

The number of commander's I seem to get who spot enemies under the damn UAV is crazy >_>

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd ID Crow
      Suffered through about an hour on Wake today with a clueless commander and not too much better for the whole team.

Spotting 101 for soldiers;

If you put your target clearly in the yellow circle and simply click, the target will be called out properly and lit up on everyone's mini-map for long enough to matter.

Spotting 101 for commanders;

If you call a target after a Radar scan while the targets are still red and for a few seconds after....the targets will be named but they will not light up on mini-maps and no one will have any clue as to where in the world they may be.

Translation; pointless, annoying, and of zero benefit to your team.

All game long the commander's going "enemy infantry......" with nothing at all showing up on mini-map. Fellow soldiers were no better, yeah sure 'hostile armor' somewhere on the north half of the map.

I realize no one is reading the manual but how long does it take for you to recognize A) the mini-map B) the importance of the mini-map & C) that you don't have to scroll the identity of the target.

/ rant
      I actually think your wrong there mate i think its just the sf that dont light up on the minimap. Everything else normaly does youll notice if your commander sometimes youll spot someone but they dont ever light up but otheres do and you can then watch them moveing around weather there a tank or an apc or some other kind of soldier. I know this for a fact because many a commander has saved my arse in the past spoting the enemy. Also if you do get into a situation were you cant spot the enemy because (it dosnt come up on the map) try just clicking to the side of them youll leave a ? so at least your troops know something is going on there.

Comment

I'm a bit suspicious about this post too. I think if the commander spots targets after the scan they will show up on everyone's minimap. Just like zulukiller says..

I once got orders from the commander to go defend a flag that seemed to have no enemies around it. Once i got there the commander spotted one enemy soldier and a car on its way to that flag and they both blinked on my minimap too. The commander was nowhere near so he had to do it with the scan.

Sometimes after the scan u try to spot someone and it just wont be spotted (recognised) Usually the case is that the target got killed right after the scan so it's sort of not there anymore when u try to spot it.

Comment

I think they show up on everyone's map as well

Comment

The OP isn't wrong, just didn't state his observations very well.

If you do a radar scan your enemy spotted function will not show up until the red lights go OUT on the command screen.

OTHERWISE; when a commander spots from his command screen, it DOES light the enemies. I'm greatful when this happens... has saved me arse many times, especially when I'm in a tank, trying to cap a flag, and the commands spots some sneeky Spec-opps guy trying to C4 my tail.

Best one ever:
            Taking a flag on Dragon Valley with a tank. I had Zero support (and was getting fed up with my lame arse squad that NEVER friggen spawned on me). The commander spots a spec opps guy sneaking up on me and lets me know "this is damned important" by calling the spot out 3 times in a row. I see the blinky red light directly behind me... no time to turn my turret. Hit reverse. Hear a crunch. Got a kill!
            Thanked the commander a bunch!

Comment

Your all right but missing the point.

There are plenty of commanders who run a radar scan then begin to simply click on the red dots to 'light up' the players. This action does not create a solid red dot target in the minimaps / player maps [likely because that would be to easy for game fairness.]

The UAV lights up all targets other than SF despite Radar scan, the commander can light up an SF soldier manually just like any other. With the radar scan the commander can zoom an area or 2 from memory where there is an issue and begin individually spotting targets that will light in solid red for everyone only after the fuzzy red dot disappears plus a few seconds.

Any commander click on a target before the fuzzy red spot is gone will create a command call of; "enemy ****** spotted" but will not create a solid red dot on anyone's mini-map. So no clue as to where on the entire map.

aka; pointless and annoying plus distracting for players who care or need something to do and look at their map when they hear a commander target call.

an equivalent to spam in your e-mail.

On the player side, you hear "enemy helicopter spotted," you bring your map up you see the soldier flashing yellow for just saying the command but he didn't 'spot' the target so there's no bad guy icon relative to where and what it is. They just manually schroll'd to the target type w/o realizing that simply clicking with the target inside your yellow circle does everything.

You have a soldier call out enemy helicopter half way up one of the fingers on Wake and that target could be on the other finger entirely.

aka; see above

Let's face it, in the scheme of things, spotting on maps is a close to a wall hack as you can legally get and the team that does it right gets a huge advantage.

Comment

Working...
              X