Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Donate Computer Power"... and help science.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Donate Computer Power"... and help science.

Hi all,

This thread is intended for all those pro-science dudes.
    I've seen some great computers around here and in other forums.
    Probably most of the time they r shut down, sleeping or under 10% of their capabilities... Join a scientific community and help cracking down tons of data that they need processed. See here...
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

... and yah, no need to stop playing...., just shut the application.

Re: "Donate Computer Power"... and help science.

I had the seti thing a while back. The cool thing is if alien life is found everyone gets a share of the nobel prize...which will equate to...like...nothing

Comment

I fold using my computer at home..

Comment

Yah, it's not an any prize thing.
        It's just helping them and in my opinion, cancer research, protein diseases and physics r the most interesting ones....

Cheers.

Comment

otf...?

Comment

You really should have posted this somewhere outside the bf2 section.

I remember hearing about these projects, but never got a site for them. Sounds like a cool project. I signed up for two of them and will throw them on my server at home. It only uses like 10% of its cpu power at max output (mainly website hosting, e-mail, a cs server, and a bf2 server for when we have LAN's), so it can spare like 50% of its power. I'll set it up to run on the down times for it.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeJJohnsonII
              You really should have posted this somewhere outside the bf2 section.

I remember hearing about these projects, but never got a site for them. Sounds like a cool project. I signed up for two of them and will throw them on my server at home. It only uses like 10% of its cpu power at max output (mainly website hosting, e-mail, a cs server, and a bf2 server for when we have LAN's), so it can spare like 50% of its power. I'll set it up to run on the down times for it.
              Well, probably.
              But i'm a fan of these boards, and usually try to help other w/ their problems in Client Support. In my work have some time .
              And i've seen some guys posting some really powerfull rigs.
              Generally gamers spent alot with computers... logically why not have them doing some good to these causes in their spare time, that's all they need..

Comment

i have allready BOINC installed on my 3 PC's and 2 Laptops but i can't find a UNIX Version for my Sun Server, anyone knows where i could get it?

Comment

Originally posted by HF_Martini6
                  i have allready BOINC installed on my 3 PC's and 2 Laptops but i can't find a UNIX Version for my Sun Server, anyone knows where i could get it?
                  This might help....
                  http://www.spy-hill.com/~myers/help/boinc/unix.html
                  with these files... http://boinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/download_other.php ...for Linux.
                  Or these files and have ur own client applic. compiled... http://boinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/anonymous_platform.php
                  Greetz.

Comment

yeah, my dad was using the seti one, meant to be a screen saver, but still burnt its image into his screen, DOH!

Comment

Putting something on my machine that allows others to connect and control it - granted I am sure there are limitations...but no thanks.

I think I would rather have an anal probe from an alien before I would allow anything into my home network.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerStein
                        Putting something on my machine that allows others to connect and control it - granted I am sure there are limitations...but no thanks.

I think I would rather have an anal probe from an alien before I would allow anything into my home network.

Does ur windows auto-updates, well it dload executable files and install them in ur %system%?
                        Boinc does something much more secure ... dload a "data text packet" do some calculations and upload it back once calculated.
                        Me and about some thousands other guys all over world have it working for a few years ago and never heard about any security issues.
                        Though they at Berkeley r very clear about this... Never use this application if u've been any kind of kidnapped by alien :laugh:.

Comment

Have you read anything about these programs BeerStein? They are safe and are good things to be doing.

I have been running the Grid.org cancer project for a while now, and have recruited people from my website as well. I have earned over 1.6 million points so far, and my website's members have earned over 8 million.

Give this a read BeerStein... http://www.grid.org/help/faq_security.htm

Tip for anyone running one of these programs, if you're not already, run it as a service using srvany. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q137890 It will work for XP even though it's not listed.

Comment

I forgot it was Monday and most senses of humor are still sleeping, forgive me.

Yes I have read tons about these different programs, yes I know most are secure. I am a systems and network administrator/engineer by trade (yes both dickhead non-believers) - I know how this works, and I know how to secure my systems and network at home and at work. In addition, I run 2 small businesses out of my home. I have systems for each company, and I keep them on isolated networks from each other for business and practical reasons, and of course from my gaming machine and servers are seperated from both.

If I ever did one of these dealies, I would dedicate one of the many machines in my home for this purpose, and seperate it from the rest of the stuff going on - just to be sure there is no funny business.

At this point in time I just don't feel like setting that up and donating my time to finding aliens. If I could donate CPU time to finding a way to get my grass mowed or house cleaned without having to do it myself or pay for it - then heck yeah - SIGN ME UP! Hell if one of you kids out there want to volunteer to come and mow my grass I will donate CPU time on every one of my systems each day in your honor. heh

Comment

Originally posted by BeerStein
                              I forgot it was Monday and most senses of humor are still sleeping, forgive me.

Yes I have read tons about these different programs, yes I know most are secure. I am a systems and network administrator/engineer by trade (yes both dickhead non-believers) - I know how this works, and I know how to secure my systems and network at home and at work. In addition, I run 2 small businesses out of my home. I have systems for each company, and I keep them on isolated networks from each other for business and practical reasons, and of course from my gaming machine and servers are seperated from both.

If I ever did one of these dealies, I would dedicate one of the many machines in my home for this purpose, and seperate it from the rest of the stuff going on - just to be sure there is no funny business.

At this point in time I just don't feel like setting that up and donating my time to finding aliens. If I could donate CPU time to finding a way to get my grass mowed or house cleaned without having to do it myself or pay for it - then heck yeah - SIGN ME UP! Hell if one of you kids out there want to volunteer to come and mow my grass I will donate CPU time on every one of my systems each day in your honor. heh

Like i said b4, no need to find aliens, it'd be better letting em find us....:laugh:.
                              ...grass treatment, house cleaning software... hum, guess i've read something like that... but the signal was lost and never returned... :laugh:.

Comment

Working...
                              X