Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attn all X-Fi potential buyers: X-Fi has a serious flaw.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn all X-Fi potential buyers: X-Fi has a serious flaw.

Hi all,

First and foremost, I'd like to say that this only pertains to those that intend to use headphones/headsets with an X-Fi, and more particularly in gaming that supports the X-Fi's capabilities or 64+ sounds (BF2 particularly).

I built a rig about 2 weeks ago, which has an X-Fi in it. Unfortunately, I had to wait until after I had it to learn that there is a serious flaw with the card (perhaps the current drivers are at fault) for those that are using headphones, or intend to use headphones for gaming. I am shocked that there hasn't been more talk of this, aside from the creative forums.

I direct you first at the following two links. The first is a 12-page (currently) thread on the creative forums of people complaining about dropping down to 15FPS at times in BF2 on ultra-high audio with EAX, and the other which is a site containing benchmark evidence of the flaw with the X-Fi.

Now, the problem: Everyone, with all different types of systems are consistently dropping down to about 15FPS in BF2 with ultra-high audio settings and using headphones, particularly when it gets busy and there are a lot of sounds bouncing off of walls and stuff with the EAX5. As you can see in the last graph on the second link, with EAX2, the CPU utilization stays around 15%. However, as you can see, the CMSS-Headphone mode spikes up about 4-fold to over 80% CPU utilization when 64 or more sounds come into play.

Now take this into account. That benchmark uses EAX2 and you see that insane jump after 64 sounds. BF2 is supposedly using EAX4/5. Now, I'm guessing that could have more of a toll than EAX2, maybe way worse. This explains why people that have even high end systems like me (Athlon64 3700 1MB L2, 7800GT, 2GB RAM, SATA) are all seeing drops down to about 15FPS. It makes a lot of sense too because others posted in that creative thread - that I linked - saying that they do not have the problem with their CMSS-2.1/5.1/7.1 setups. So, the good news is only for people that don't use headphones. You don't have to worry about it. But for a majority of gamers (headphone users), there is a big problem making most games that will do more than 64 sounds unacceptable in terms of performance.

Now, I am disgusted with creative, as their representatives respond on most of the threads on that forum, but are yet to say a word on that thread that is now 12 pages. Which leads me to believe they have no answer or idea on this, which is sad because BF2 is one of the few games utilizing the X-Fi's power right now, and most people bought it for that game to run in the ultra-high audio mode. Or it could be even worse and this is a hardware flaw that they believe cannot be fixed with drivers. Hopefully it's just a bad driver problem.

Please, if you're an x-fi owner, contribute to that thread and get creative to jump on it. I'm sure they've already taken notice since it's 12 pages, but the more people complaining on their site, the better. I am just trying to let the rest of the community know so they don't fall victim to this like I did. I based my purchase off many user-reviews, and this information was nowhere to be found on the common sources.

Re: Attn all X-Fi potential buyers: X-Fi has a serious flaw.

My apologies I did not know there was a seperate hardware forum here, that would seem more appropriate. I will also post this there. I would delete this here if I could, if a moderator could do that then that's cool

Comment

Your links are messed up:

I haven't persoanlly had any issues with X-FI Fatal1ty FPS yet in BF2 and use the CMSS-3D headphone option.

I have a AMD 64 3700+, 2GB RAM and x800xl similar to the system you mention, so maybe saying all are having problems is stretching the facts a little or maybe I just been fortunate to not run into the 'problem'.

The link to techreport only covers the low-end version of X-FI.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny Highway
        I have a AMD 64 3700+, 2GB RAM and x800xl similar to the system you mention, so maybe saying all are having problems is stretching the facts a little or maybe I just been fortunate to not run into the 'problem'.
        Maybe you are fortunate... Still there are too many people saying that there is a problem, me included. This is a very big deal for those of us who spent our money and are not getting what was promised.

Originally posted by Gunny Highway
        The link to techreport only covers the low-end version of X-FI.
        Yep, althought it seems that this problem affects all X-Fi's.

Comment

Originally posted by ttopi
          Maybe you are fortunate... Still there are too many people saying that there is a problem, me included. This is a very big deal for those of us who spent our money and are not getting what was promised.

Yep, althought it seems that this problem affects all X-Fi's.
          I'm just saying there are a lot of assumptions in the post above, they might be valid on some level but using term like this is probably not true:

Now, the problem: Everyone, with all different types of systems are consistently dropping down to about 15FPS in BF2 with ultra-high audio settings and using headphones,
          If I was playing at 15 FPS I think I would have noticed. Using term like on some systems instead of everyone/all would probably make the post seem a little more vaild IMO.

The chart shows that with 127 voices and CMSS-3D headphones there is a great CPU utilization, but to say that there is an insane jump in CPU utilization after 64 makes it sound like 65 voices will make it use huge amount of CPU, when in fact the text attributed to the chart states:
          CMSS-3DHeadphone's CPU utilization doesn't really ramp up until we hit 127 voices, either.

--------------------------

I'm just saying it stretches the facts a little, probably not intentional.
          Think how ppl read this thread when they have no experince with X-FI first hand, if I didn't own a X-FI I would see this post as stating that all X-FI owners have problems in BF2 when it most likely isn't the case.

Comment

The issue is IMO..

In CMSS-3D headphone mode - ALL the Creative XF-i cards, across the range CANNOT handle BF2 when there are 127 voices active.

A drop to 15 FPS occurs as the CPU is laoded!

BF2 is meant to be the first game to support this feature, it plain isn't, so, until they fix this, don't be like me and buy it for that specific BF2 feature.

Everything else is great though

Comment

I unfortunately get this problem even when not using headphones. I get better performance using my onboard sound. I may just return the sound card to Newegg if there is no fix soon.

Comment

hmmm..

thought as much, I could only speak for 2.1 and a half.

Creative strike again, I may SUE [lol/sp?] - the driver programming team have been pimping themselves and not delivering at point of sale [let alone after - as usual] - disgracefull

know I know why the nForce onboard sound was attractive

Comment

Regardless of the fact that there are issues with BF2 I'm rather impressed with this card. Sound quality is fine and that is what matters the most for me. No complaints there.

I'm pretty sure these problems get fixed sooner or later.

Comment

My X-Fi works perfect with BF2, no complaints

Comment

As for the dropping down to 15fps, it happens to me about every 5-10 gmaes with the 1.03 patch. Just for some unknown reason, it plummets to 15-20 fps for about 30 seconds, then goes back to normal. I don't think it is an X-Fi problem.

I think one of the more glaring flaws about the x-fi is that it only has one connector for a digital cable from the cd/dvd player.

Comment

Originally posted by AT39
                        As for the dropping down to 15fps, it happens to me about every 5-10 gmaes with the 1.03 patch. Just for some unknown reason, it plummets to 15-20 fps for about 30 seconds, then goes back to normal. I don't think it is an X-Fi problem.
                        Try high -setting and I bet you don't have any problems... I don't have any issues using high... Ultra high is what makes things go wrong. After adding more memory these framerate drops are more random, but they still exist.

Originally posted by AT39
                        I think one of the more glaring flaws about the x-fi is that it only has one connector for a digital cable from the cd/dvd player.
                        Yes, I too was shocked that you must use analog connection for cd.. This is year 2005 for heaven's sake.

Comment

so what is the problem. wait i got a solution, don't use headphones... ;-)

Comment

I usually use 5.1 headphones but decided to test out the CMSS-3D feature on an old pair of Sennheiser HD280's. My frame rates were perfect on a 60 person map. A co-worker of mine does have issues though with his x-fi music, much like described on the Creative forums.

Here's what I have...

AMD 3000+
                            Neo2 MB
                            X-fi Fatality
                            X850XT PE

Comment

I have a solution.....don't run that mode, or plug your headphones into your speakers (if you can).

Comment

Working...
                              X