Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Am I doing something wrong?

Originally posted by =HzC=7PlaGues
    i think its alot more fun to be on the battlefield, using vent and being with people you game with alot..that way they know your style, your attitude and your sense of humor.plus for me, it makes the game more fun to have a squad with a variety of classes running as a team capping points or defending key positions..very fun stuff.
    I totally agree with you. When i first downloaded the demo i played for about 10hrs and loved every minute of it. I knew then i was addicted to the game.

I find lately though as the support from Dice slowly falls to the way side, more and more of my clan members have retired. Nobody can be bothered to play a game that doesn't work properly and where you spend more time loading maps and restarting your computer than you actually do playing.

I still play in hopes that they may come back but i too am slowly becoming less interested

Comment

Originally posted by rombaft
      About your first line, you asked if there is something wrong with you , and there is, you just mis something wich makes that you can't understand some things and having problems with things.
      Youre right, I dont have many hours logged yet, so no, I dont always understand or catch onto whats going on around me. But, when me and my buddies play, its much easier to learn and catch on since you have 4 sets of eyes telling each other. Chatting with others is often a good way to learn, grow, get better, etc, etc but feeding off each other and helping your buddy out when you see he's not doing something right etc. Right now, when Im doing something wrong, all someone can do is just turn their character and stare at me, which does me no good.

About you second line : you are probably under 18 years old or something, don't know what, but at a point when you live with someone you need some understandings, and you don't need to grow a pair and do everything you just feel like and screw the rest, it's called mature.
      Nice try buddy. Im 25, married, and obviously since Im married, I live with my wife. In college I lived with roomates as well. My wife just laughs at the things I say, etc when playing. The guys I play with also are married, and I often hear them talking to their wives in the background (I prefer to hit the mute on my mic when the wife walks in, or use push-to-talk). Its really not a big deal to chat around other people.

If you physically cant chat because shes sleeping in the same room, or theres kids around or something like that...I totally understand. But dont use the lame excuse that your wife/girlfriend will look at you funny. All that is, is embarrassment on your part that youre talking to a machince. As I said before, its the 21st century, time to get over that.

And why should I do an effort to chat in a game when it's only used by idiots telling jokes, chatting over stupid things, ...
      I would agree with you, except the normal case is there is NO chat going on. It would be nice if people told jokes or called me idiots, because then at least I know I could respond to someone actually there.

Comment

playing on public server i do get the feeling im all alone on everything! Yes i've joined a squad but they're all over the map not working together!
        It's sucks, that's why i like playing on non ranked server like TG. Negative side is that tg server is in america and im in europe so there's no one there during the afternoon/early evening.. I just wished more people would join up squads and try to work/stick together attacking or defending a flag. That's another point. Why rush to a new flag to capture all the time? You're leaving a base undefending to attack another base ?! Weird: DEFEND for crtying out loud! oh well!

Comment

Originally posted by DezemoDova
          and for a player with your stats, i wouldn't talk smack about people who are 100 times better than you
          Yea, thanks, Ive been playing for less than a week. I never brought up any smack talk on someones stats, so please dont talk about mine. I know I suck, its expected as a newbie to a game. This is why I would like to chat with others, so that I can get better.

If you dont have any useful advice, just dont post, its not hard.

Telling me that Im dumb, things arent that hard to figure out, etc, etc DO NOT help me. All they do is make yourself look elitist by proclaiming your greatness over a new player while trying to make me look moronic instead of helping me.

Heres an example of something I dont understand. Ok, so when you press Q it brings up a little menu pop-up where I can select various options: Thanks, Need Ammo, Need Pickup, etc, etc. I dunno what this is called, but Im sure you all know what Im talking about.

Ok, so, lets say someone presses the 'I need Pickup' button. It broadcasts this to the entire team (right?) that they need pickup. Heres what I dont understand...where the hell is this person that needs a pickup? Same thing for when people say: 'Im bingo on ammo.' Well, this is great that your bingo on ammo, Im a support class....but where the hell are you?

Its little things like this that I dont understand yet, that voice chatting would greatly help me understand faster. By playing the game solo and never talking (text or voice) with anyone, Ill never learn to get better. Maybe I should go buy the official game guide or something.

Comment

look at the mini map -- those little green & blue dots are your team -- when one of them starts blinkin green/yellow and you see an on-screen message saying playerA: i'm bingo on ammo thats the guy who needs ammo

does that help?

Comment

OK man i getcha... Your mini map and pressing caps lock or M allow you to see icons that indicate your team members status when you can resupply/repair/heal/revive them. Use you N key to zoom in and out on your mini map to see where people need you and where the major action is going on.
              Also when you are in a squad use your t key to tell your squad leader (or if you are the squad leader your commander or other squad members) what you need. These are crucial to getting things you want or need. When you hear "need a pick up" check you mini map for a flashing icon and stop driving (if you can). It is usually someone insight of you.

Also one more tip: turn on English vo only in your audio options. this will allow you to understand everything no matter what country you are... good luck man

Comment

Re: #1 toader:

I kind of agree with you except I would say I hate the game, but it is a lot less interesting and enjoyable. For me, the best rounds are the ones where I'm working within the squad structure (could be in a two man squad or 6 man - it doesn't really matter how many people as long as we're working together) and we're doing something other than running around and killing people. I've played enough where this can happen with or without voice communication.

To use the ingame voice feature you MUST be a squad member, squad leader or commander. As a squad member, you can only talk to members within your squad and to your squad leader. As squad leader, you can only talk to your squad members and the commander, if there is one. As commander, you can only talk to the squad leaders, not the squad members. You cannot "talk" as a lone wolf or talk to a lone wolf.

You can text chat by pressing "K" and type whatever message you want to the entire team, but there's no guarantee the person will see it.

Dythlt and Beerstein had some great suggestions that I've found to work.

Comment

And why should I do an effort to chat in a game when it's only used by idiots telling jokes, chatting over stupid things, ...
                  Maybe it's just me, but I've never had anybody tell me a joke over VOIP.

"j0ker to squad 3, This guy walks into a pub with a duck under his arm..."

As for finding squad-mates who prefer to talk - look for or create a squad called VOIP. No ambiguity there.

Comment

Originally posted by toader
                    Heres an example of something I dont understand. Ok, so when you press Q it brings up a little menu pop-up where I can select various options: Thanks, Need Ammo, Need Pickup, etc, etc. I dunno what this is called, but Im sure you all know what Im talking about.

Ok, so, lets say someone presses the 'I need Pickup' button. It broadcasts this to the entire team (right?) that they need pickup. Heres what I dont understand...where the hell is this person that needs a pickup? Same thing for when people say: 'Im bingo on ammo.' Well, this is great that your bingo on ammo, Im a support class....but where the hell are you?

Its little things like this that I dont understand yet, that voice chatting would greatly help me understand faster. By playing the game solo and never talking (text or voice) with anyone, Ill never learn to get better. Maybe I should go buy the official game guide or something.
                    Pressing the Q key brings up the Commo Rose and yes, these messages are broadcast to your entire team. If you're a support class and someone on your team says "I'm bingo on ammo" then you'll see on your mini map where the sender is. Similarly, if you're a medic and someone says "need medic" then you'll see on your minimap where these people are. If it's a non-class specific request like "need pickup" or "get in", or "go, go, go", you'll see the color of the speaker (dot) flashing blue to yellow or green to yellow on the minimap. This is good if you're driving a vehicle and you hear "need pickup" you can quickly glance at your minimap and see if any of your team mates "dots" are blinking around you. If they are, they're talking to you and you can stop and wait for them. It really ticks me off when someone drives off in vehicle to rush to the battle leaving team mates standing at the base with no way to move but walk/run.

I suggest you read through some of the unofficial game guides and continue to ask questions here. Just skip over the replies that aren't helpful.

Comment

The flashing dots thing is very helpful. I didnt know about that, and it doesnt exactly come right out and tell you.

Thats just one example of some things I havent picked up on yet, Im sure there's many others that I dont get, but since I dont get them, they arent coming to mind.

Someone reccomended an 'unofficial' game guide for reading up on this kinda stuff....anyone got any good links to online guides and tips? That would be very helpful.

In regards to the topic at hand, it sounds like most people experience the same disdain for public solo play as I do. That is unfortunate that it mucst be like that because Ive seen other companies handle the public ingame communication quite well. At least I know that I am not alone in my struggles. The best idea Ive heard so far is to initiate the ingame chat myself, I will give that a try.

Comment

Originally posted by toader
                        Do any of you play 'solo' style of play? If so, how do you communicate with the dude standing next to you? How do you communicate with everyone else on your team on the battlefield?
                        I play a lot of solo when my buddies aren't online. Your question is kinda funny to me, because if you are playing solo, there shouldn't be a "dude standing next to you". When I say solo, I mean solo - just you 90% of the time. Easy to do as a sniper of course, as a matter of fact preferable IMO. Much less chance of being spotted if you don't have 3 or 4 bullet magnets standing around your perch picking their noses. As for communication, I spot targets, and that's about it.

Comment

Here's one that I found useful:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6127838/

Here's another specifically on the medic class (which is one of my favorites):

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/dosw...ld_2_medic.txt

Also, there is a lot of useful info in the "Tips and Tricks" forum here on totalbf2.

Comment

Originally posted by Lasher Dragon
                            I play a lot of solo when my buddies aren't online. Your question is kinda funny to me, because if you are playing solo, there shouldn't be a "dude standing next to you". When I say solo, I mean solo - just you 90% of the time. Easy to do as a sniper of course, as a matter of fact preferable IMO. Much less chance of being spotted if you don't have 3 or 4 bullet magnets standing around your perch picking their noses. As for communication, I spot targets, and that's about it.
                            Sorry for the confusion Lasher.

When I meant 'solo' I meant without a guild, and without friends I have specifically hooked up with to play the game. I dont mean that Im playing the game alone, but more that I enter a game friendless/clueless and want to find a dude to stand next to. :P

Thanks for the links jlspence, Ill check them out.

Comment

if any of you guys want some guys to play with when you're online, I will..my xfire is plaguers..you can also find me at our forums here:
                              www.heinzhaus.org
                              i'll gladly jump in a squad with ya

Comment

Also if your commander and your issue an order to a squad it gets sent to the squad leader. If he accepts this order then it gets transfered to all the players on that squad.

Read the tips and tricks section of this forum. You shoudl get a lot of help from that if your only a week old.

Comment

Working...
                                X