Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer running slow- and doing odd things.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer running slow- and doing odd things.

Ok , well i have had problems with this pc since i got it, and well the first problem i had is that, i would boot it up and i would get a disk read error, so i take it into the shop(Where i got it from) and they cant get it to get the error..
    so i take it home, and bam, it works.

so a while later it does it again, i open it up plug in the wires again into the hd, and fixed.. now that issue seems to be fixed.

but now its doing something else, i boot up the computer, and it sits on the windows loading screen, with the blue bar going acrross. and sits there for a while a long while 3-4 minites, and it finaly starts up and runs very sluggish, last night i left it on and did virus scans, defrag, spyware scans teh whole works, any ideas anyone?

SYstem specs.

3.2ghz intel p4..
    2 gigs of geil ram.
    nvidia 6600 256mb.
    Mobo- ASUS p5gd1

any help would be apreciated.

Re: Computer running slow- and doing odd things.

What programs are running in the background?

Comment

Well this weekend i havent used ts or anyything that would cause this, normaly i have xfire, teamspeak, battlefield2, firewalls, umm and the normal programs, i try and keep the ones i dont Need , closed.

Comment

Bump Bump Bump

Comment

Since it's new....take it back and ask for another drive.

Comment

Its not new, about a year old, and now it seems to be working fine. so thanks for the help.

Comment

Make sure that your drive is set to Master, the cable is going into the IDE1 part of your motherboard, and that the "master" part of the cable is plugged in.

Comment

Is the master, the Red cable? today my game has been loading so damn slooooww... it sucks lol.

Comment

Check whether your drives are in DMA transfer mode. After a certain number of disk read failures winblows eventually reverts to PIO mode and that will make your system crawl like a snail.

Comment

Realy? omg well that would explain it, how exactly do i do that???

Comment

to check

start -> control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager -> IDE ATA controllers -> primary (secondary) IDE channel -> advanced settings
                      The current transfer mode should by a DMA mode and NOT a pio mode

Comment

aha, my primary is PIO check out my screenie.

How do i fix this? help please.

Comment

yup that would do it. god, winblows is so stupid when it comes to this.
                          fixing this is more tricky. various people have reported various ways of fixing this stupid winblows feature.

among methods reported:

uninstall the IDE controller and reboot and see if windows detects it properly.

see also http://www.ntcompatible.com/harddriv...de_t32962.html

registry editing has also been suggested.

read the links and decide what you want to try. A google search will give you numerous info on this, believe me, you are not the only one with this problem. I dont have a foolproof way of solving this problem. But at least you now know what the problem is. Make sure your cables are attached firmly and are in good condition.

let us know what works.

Comment

Working...
                          X