Commanding just not worth it anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commanding just not worth it anymore?

I thought the patch changed the TK with artillery so you don't get a TK for it... but everytime I commander and joe blow runs into my arty strikes... I get the big negatives.

And how the hell do commanders get points now? You don't get jack for kills. You don't get jack for giving orders. You don't get jack for commanding at all. WTF!?

I played a game today where I had 11 kills and 3 deaths... and scored 4 points as the commander. Next game I came out and didn't take commander... and got 31 points with 12 kills and 7 deaths with a couple ammo drops, defends, and some arty destruction.

Honestly... playing commander for the 2x will rarely get you 3rd place let alone anywhere near enough points to consider the time spent as useful.

Re: Commanding just not worth it anymore?

You never got points for kills, orders or bla bla bla when your commander...

its all some "modified" avarage of your teams score... Short game, lousy team mates = Lousy Commander score...

Comment

Exactly... Commander was something I didn't give much time to, but as of late I've been playing it a fair amount. If you do you job - and I mean to completion - and you win, a medal is fairly easy.

Its a modified 'average' of your team's core PLUS points you earn as a commander...I think this relates to when a squad requests supplies and you respond. Commanders that think the job consists of scan, uav, arty, and supplies won't get anywhere.

You need to communicate with all the squads, hand out orders, tell them supplies are available, etc.......

The only thing ****ing me off about commanding nowadays is loosing control of your artillery on Wake Island. Commanding from the PLA side is f'ing hard enough, not to have them take the airfield and your arty. That map needs a 3rd island off to the east with the PLA's assets...having them raped by US SpecOps players gets to be a pain

Comment

Yeah...what he said^^^^^^.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Misfit
          Its a modified 'average' of your team's core PLUS points you earn as a commander...I think this relates to when a squad requests supplies and you respond. Commanders that think the job consists of scan, uav, arty, and supplies won't get anywhere.

You need to communicate with all the squads, hand out orders, tell them supplies are available, etc.......
          I used to believe this too but now I know, from having put in a LOT of hours over the last week that the commanders score is just the average of your teams total running score. Dropping UAV's doesn't get you points directly but it'll haelp your team to kill more people so it works out in the end.

Heartless_ the patch change the scoring so that your team mates can't punishing you for arty tks. if they had taken it away compleatly then commanders wouldn't have cared less where they placed the arty. The scoring system has always been the same and as long as the game goes on for at least 10 minutes it should be easy enough for a commander to get a medal.

Comment

Ahh thanks for the info. Always thought Arty gave you a kill score.

Got a couple gold medals tonight with a new vision for what a commander should do. Basically its about letting the enemy cap your flags and then send your guys in. Then just camp out as AT and pick off the tanks you light up on your UAVs.

Comment

Commander score is worked out like this:

Everytime someone on your team scores x points (positive points only, TK's dont count):

New commander score = Old commander score + (x / number of people on your team alive at the time)

Thats it, the ONLY way to score points when you are commander. Points for supply drops? No. Points for Arty kills? No. Points for squads doing orders? No.

So the patch hasn't directly affected the amount of points a commander scores at all.

EDIT: Your sig pic made me laugh, Heartless :laugh: I haven't played CSS in ages because of BF2

Comment

No, not at all. It is always fun when you get tired of fighting.

Comment

The commander role was decimated by the patch, I don't recall any posts about commander stat padding so the class needed little if anything to fix.

If you kill someone with arty, it's a kill and you should get points.
                  Kill a friendly?, adjust the score but don't allow punish.

With no points other than the team average [losing team, you may get 10 - 20 points for playing for 20 minutes], now a commander is motivated to also fight which on a 32 + server is negligent commander behavior.

To boot, now the other team gets points for taking out your $h_t!!! so your spending more time getting it repaired to use it and a smart SF guy runs up to your crate to reload then blows it up again.

For sure you can only rarely get someone w/ engy. to go repair it.

It's a double whammy; less points & less assets to play with => Bad call.

Comment

it's hard to command when ur troops dont give a damn about ur orders...

I prefer being a foot man rather than commanding and wasting time.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Misfit
                      The only thing ****ing me off about commanding nowadays is loosing control of your artillery on Wake Island. Commanding from the PLA side is f'ing hard enough, not to have them take the airfield and your arty. That map needs a 3rd island off to the east with the PLA's assets...having them raped by US SpecOps players gets to be a pain
                      hell it's even worse when they get on your ship! Annoying if you can't find him while he's got c4 placed all over!

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd ID Crow
                        If you kill someone with arty, it's a kill and you should get points. Kill a friendly?, adjust the score but don't allow punish.
                        3rd ID Crow, I'm sure you're not an idiot. Maybe it's just me that's not reading your post properly, but you seem to think that with the 1.02 patch you got points for arty and since the 1.03 patch you don't?

You never got points for arty, it was just added to your kill scores in BFHS like now.

Comment

Originally posted by r0279s
                          hell it's even worse when they get on your ship! Annoying if you can't find him while he's got c4 placed all over!
                          I will give you a tip. Open up commander mode, click the spotted button around your ship, if you are close enough to where he is, it will say enemy infantry spotted, you don't have to have a visual on him.

Comment

I wondered why in some of the games I play the commander slot is open.

Comment

Working...
                            X