New BF2 Benchmarking Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New BF2 Benchmarking Tool

After reading a lot of posts in this thread about performance when BF2 first came out, I wound up writting an app to help make Benchmarking a little easier. There were so many different ideas about deleting your cache, and setting the aas from 128 to 256 that I just needed to know for sure that it really was making a difference. Anyway I finally got around to making worth posting on the net. www.bf2bench.com It's a little late as I'm sure most of us have tweaked our systems already, but if anyone uses it let me know what you think.

Nathaniel

p.s. aas of 256 seemed to give me all of 1 extra frame.

Re: New BF2 Benchmarking Tool

Anyone give this a shot yet? I'd like to hear comments.

Comment

I'm gonna wait for a few others to try this out first before I give it a go

I'm always a bit cautious...nothing personal

If it works as intended, I can't wait to put it to some good use

Comment

how does it work, never bench marked before, does it require to be playing the game?

Comment

It looks like it loads a demo file and analyses frame rate data.

Am I right?

Comment

yea, ur right. just ran it and i got a 55, all high settings, and 1280x960. is that good, i would think so cuz the one on the site got a 50 at all med setting and at 1024x768. someone verify this.

Comment

Ran it, all high, 4xAA, got a 99. Nifty little program.

Comment

mn9500:
                Thanks for trying it.
                Ya, the few files I included were examples of my system. I have a 2.7+ 1 gig 3200 ram, and a 6800 128. I wish I was getting 55 on high at 1280x960.

Talus:
                "I'm always a bit cautious...nothing personal."
                LOL I understand. I dumped this on a few people before I released it. The worst that could happen is maybe you'd loose you video settings. I even back that up as video.keep the first time the tool runs.

How it works:
                I just automate the steps people could do by hand. Write out the current settings to test, copy the map to test to the correct folder, Run bf2 from the command line with the proper arguements, then convert the raw frame data the game saves to file. When you say you want to view the report, it finds a common frame-rate that is below 100 for all the files you want to graph and then only displays that data forward. I think I just gave away my trade secrets: laugh: All your bench tests are copied into a sub-folder of my app. "Results" I might expand on it more if there's a need. I'd definately like a better graph window. And my app really should write out the graphic settings for each test, so you can go back and refer. I just got lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_jimmy_norton
                  Ran it, all high, 4xAA, got a 99. Nifty little program.
                  Thanks, can we trade video cards now

Comment

omg need a new card:cry:

Comment

The simple answer == Click on the "Generate Report" button. Select a filter from the upper left dropdown, then pick the folder that has your comment.

More details can be found at:
                      http://www.bf2bench.com/support.html Scroll down to "Graph Your Results".

Let me know if something's not clear.

Comment

You should put your coding and programming skills to good use.

Comment

Originally posted by NAK[n00gz]Wolf
                          omg need a new card:cry:
                          Am I loosing it or did you originally ask how to view the report? I guess that's the power of the edit button. So what were your results? What res? I'd say as long as you're pulling at least 40+ avg I wouldn't sweat it. From some of the sites I've seen online even a 6800 gt ($300 card) only gets 70 or so. And yes ,lil_jimmy_norton, we all hate you, I'm still crying over the 99 frames. The program caps at 100.

"You should put your coding and programming skills to good use".
                          I thought I just did LOL

Comment

hmmmmm

Comment

I'm downloading this now. I'm a huge dork and spend as much time benchmarking different graphics options as I do playing the game. I have a big collection of .bat and .con files to do this and it's a huge pain. It also took a while to come up w/a good 1 minute BF2 demo file.

Plus, you figured out how to get rid of the loading map crap that BF2 includes in it's timedemo? I had to resort to just pushing Fraps benchmark hotkey immediately after pushing the join button.

Here's what I did yesterday. lol.

1024x768 / VSYNC OFF:

ALL MED / D.LIGHTING OFF / D.SHADOWS OFF / 4xAA
                              Frames: 1955 - Time: 27792ms - Avg: 70.344 - Min: 53 - Max: 125

LIGHTING HIGH / EFFECTS HIGH / D.LIGHTING OFF / D.SHADOWS OFF / 4xAA
                              Frames: 1972 - Time: 30180ms - Avg: 65.341 - Min: 49 - Max: 119

LIGHTING HIGH / EFFECTS HIGH / D.LIGHTING MED / D.SHADOWS OFF / 4xAA
                              Frames: 1970 - Time: 30477ms - Avg: 64.639 - Min: 48 - Max: 119

ALL MED / D.LIGHTING MED / D.SHADOWS MED / 2xAA
                              Frames: 1966 - Time: 31874ms - Avg: 61.680 - Min: 46 - Max: 112

1280x1024:

LIGHTING MED / EFFECTS MED / D.LIGHTING MED / D.SHADOWS MED / 2xAA / VSYNC OFF
                              Frames: 1969 - Time: 32646ms - Avg: 60.314 - Min: 46 - Max: 88

LIGHTING MED / EFFECTS MED / D.LIGHTING MED / D.SHADOWS OFF / 2xAA / VSYNC OFF
                              Frames: 1958 - Time: 30002ms - Avg: 65.262 - Min: 51 - Max: 97

LIGHTING HIGH / EFFECTS MED / D.LIGHTING MED / D.SHADOWS OFF / 2xAA / VSYNC OFF
                              Frames: 1961 - Time: 30784ms - Avg: 63.702 - Min: 49 - Max: 97

LIGHTING MED / EFFECTS MED / D.LIGHTING MED / D.SHADOWS LOW / 2xAA / VSYNC OFF
                              Frames: 1957 - Time: 34033ms - Avg: 57.503 - Min: 44 - Max: 88

LIGHTING HIGH / EFFECTS MED / D.LIGHTING MED / D.SHADOWS MED / 2xAA / VSYNC OFF
                              Frames: 1961 - Time: 34904ms - Avg: 56.183 - Min: 43 - Max: 85

LIGHTING MED / EFFECTS HIGH / D.LIGHTING HIGH / D.SHADOWS MED / 2xAA / VSYNC OFF
                              Frames: 1959 - Time: 34097ms - Avg: 57.454 - Min: 44 - Max: 88

LIGHTING HIGH / EFFECTS MED / D.LIGHTING HIGH / D.SHADOWS MED / 2xAA / VSYNC OFF
                              Frames: 1965 - Time: 35020ms - Avg: 56.111 - Min: 43 - Max: 85

LIGHTING HIGH / EFFECTS HIGH / D.LIGHTING HIGH / D.SHADOWS MED / 4xAA / VSYNC OFF
                              Frames: 1972 - Time: 36051ms - Avg: 54.700 - Min: 43 - Max: 79

LIGHTING HIGH / EFFECTS HIGH / D.LIGHTING HIGH / D.SHADOWS OFF / 4xAA / VSYNC OFF
                              Frames: 1958 - Time: 31389ms - Avg: 62.379 - Min: 48 - Max: 90

LIGHTING MED / EFFECTS MED / D.LIGHTING HIGH / D.SHADOWS MED / 4xAA / VSYNC OFF
                              Frames: 1955 - Time: 34778ms - Avg: 56.214 - Min: 44 - Max: 82

LIGHTING HIGH / EFFECTS HIGH / D.LIGHTING HIGH / D.SHADOWS MED / 4xAA / VSYNC OFF
                              Frames: 1961 - Time: 35743ms - Avg: 54.864 - Min: 43 - Max: 79

LIGHTING MED / EFFECTS HIGH / D.LIGHTING HIGH / D.SHADOWS MED / 4xAA / VSYNC OFF
                              Frames: 1957 - Time: 34808ms - Avg: 56.223 - Min: 44 - Max: 81

LIGHTING HIGH / EFFECTS HIGH / D.LIGHTING HIGH / D.SHADOWS MED / 4xAA / VSYNC OFF / AI HIGH
                              Frames: 1962 - Time: 36016ms - Avg: 54.476 - Min: 43 - Max: 78

Comment

Working...
                              X