Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody tried server sided mod on BF2 yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody tried server sided mod on BF2 yet?

Well, as many of you probably know - BF2 needs a little tweaking.

Just wondering if any of you have tried hosting any server sided mods yet? If so, please post any probs, or successes you have had. Also post your server so I can try it out. Thanks.

Re: Has anybody tried server sided mod on BF2 yet?

I have and it's not working too well. It seems that some changes crash all clients and others crash only some clients. You can't depend on a mod that works locally to work for other clients on another server. I think that server-side only mods were not anticipated by Dice and they have primarily designed the modding framework for client-side mods.

Comment

There were several successful server side mods, even for the demo, the Silent Heroes developers released a popular one for the BF2 demo that was played a lot.

Comment

WHAT i never heard that!

Comment

Well, I am glad to hear that someone did it. We are running into similar probs. The editor is pretty lame, in that we can't get accurate coordinates and then since it seems that most people have grown to like the ranking system - it won't support that. We are waiting for someone to come up with a better editor and see how that works.

Comment

In the BF2 editor forums, there's a couple of posts from people at EA & Dice stating that server side modding has been neutered. Their answer is that BF2 was designed for mods from the ground up, not modifications to vanilla BF2. I have seen a few select servers that are SSM. From what I can tell, you need to have your own custom server_objects.zip load before the regular server_objects. In addition, md5 (content checking) will need to be disabled.

So yes, while opening one door to a better BF2, you also run the added risk of attracting modified clients.

Comment

Working...
            X