Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, Newbie With 1.03 Lockup Probs!

Hi Folks,

I've been lurking around the forums for a while and have been reading everyone's problems regarding the 1.03 Patch. Well, my PC and all games INCLUDING BF2 ran absolutely FLAWLESSLY. (Like most people! )

Anyways, since the 1.03 patch I can play anywhere from 10 seconds to 30 minutes before the screen freezes and totally locks the PC. No CTD, the game starts fine, no CD key issues or patch failed. It ran fine but the bastard keeps locking up! It's so unbeliveably annoying! Anyone else having similar probs of the game just freezing and locking and you have to reboot?

I tried uninstalling as per all instructions and reg entry removals, installing a fresh install straight to 1.03 same thing. Tried again and patched it 1.01- 1.02 and 1.03. Same thing. Got the latest SB Audigy drivers and Nivida drivers but this is ********. They've ****ed something up with this patch. If this was a good or service, you'd ask for a refund. This aint my PC, it's gotta be there $2 patch. If anyone could offer any help I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

Re: Ok, Newbie With 1.03 Lockup Probs!

Originally posted by Maz78
    Hi Folks,

I've been lurking around the forums for a while and have been reading everyone's problems regarding the 1.03 Patch. Well, my PC and all games INCLUDING BF2 ran absolutely FLAWLESSLY. (Like most people! )

Anyways, since the 1.03 patch I can play anywhere from 10 seconds to 30 minutes before the screen freezes and totally locks the PC. No CTD, the game starts fine, no CD key issues or patch failed. It ran fine but the bastard keeps locking up! It's so unbeliveably annoying! Anyone else having similar probs of the game just freezing and locking and you have to reboot?

I tried uninstalling as per all instructions and reg entry removals, installing a fresh install straight to 1.03 same thing. Tried again and patched it 1.01- 1.02 and 1.03. Same thing. Got the latest SB Audigy drivers and Nivida drivers but this is ********. They've ****ed something up with this patch. If this was a good or service, you'd ask for a refund. This aint my PC, it's gotta be there $2 patch. If anyone could offer any help I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

Haven't experienced this my self (touch wood)
    depends what video card you have i guess, and Nvidia released new drivers yesterday try that maybe.

The freezing thing has happened to a friend of mine, but they are playing with a low end video card.

I just thought id say something as no one else has bothered to give you a hand dude

Comment

Originally posted by Maz78
      Hi Folks,

Thanks!

Same here for me, it's really annoying, i just join the game, and it freezes on the spawn screen. And i have an adequate vid card, at least ur not alone. Does anybody know how to fix this damn bug?

Comment

The problem is lack of memory. I recommend atleast 2g of ram to run smoothly and lock-up free. Ifyou dont have the cash for the extra ram, try lowering some video settings,(ie. Water, Shadows, Lighting.) Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by DaggGumm
          The problem is lack of memory. I recommend atleast 2g of ram to run smoothly and lock-up free. Ifyou dont have the cash for the extra ram, try lowering some video settings,(ie. Water, Shadows, Lighting.) Hope this helps.
          Permanent lock-ups have nothing to do with memory , you probably mean intermident pauses like stuttering.

Maz78 is refering to permanent lockups, where it freezes totally not just intermidently, like stuttering. Below 2GB wouldn't make it lock up, just small hickups in some cases.

Eddy01741 does your lock up totally or can you see it running in the background, like your mouse and keyboard isn't responding?? If so go into Options -> Controls and apply default settiings, it might just be your controls that have been messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny Highway
            Permanent lock-ups have nothing to do with memory , you probably mean intermident pauses like stuttering.

Maz78 is refering to permanent lockups, where it freezes totally not just intermidently, like stuttering. Below 2GB wouldn't make it lock up, just small hickups in some cases.

Eddy01741 does your lock up totally or can you see it running in the background, like your mouse and keyboard isn't responding?? If so go into Options -> Controls and apply default settiings, it might just be your controls that have been messed up.
            It's a total lock up, like at first, for the first 5 seconds it works. THen it just freezes, and if somethng like a APC was shooting it's main gun, you would repeatedly hear it shooting over and over again. I have no idea what the problem is, lately it's happened a LOT to me, as in only 1/20 times i can successfully get into a server without permanant lockups.

Comment

I was having a very similar problem with the game locking up on me. I have a fairly decent rig, p4 3.0, x800 pro, 2g ram. When I was having the troubles I had only 1g of ram.after adding the gig, I have yet to have any lock-ups even after playing for hours. BF2 is an extreme resource hog.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy01741
                It's a total lock up, like at first, for the first 5 seconds it works. THen it just freezes, and if somethng like a APC was shooting it's main gun, you would repeatedly hear it shooting over and over again. I have no idea what the problem is, lately it's happened a LOT to me, as in only 1/20 times i can successfully get into a server without permanant lockups.
                Ah okay, I just wanted to be sure, a lot of ppl have the issue where they can't use keyboard or mouse at spawn and yours sounded at first like that.

I would try unistalling graphics and audio drivers and any relevant application if any exist in Add/Remove control panel.

Then run DriverCleaner in Safe Mode and clean video and audio relevant drivers.

Boot into Windows normally again and install video and audio drivers again.

Other important drivers like the chpiset drivers, should also be the latest so check with maker of motherbaord or chipset maker to see if you have the latest version installed. Often the chipset maker will have the latest, and moterboard website not.

Comment

Originally posted by DaggGumm
                  I was having a very similar problem with the game locking up on me. I have a fairly decent rig, p4 3.0, x800 pro, 2g ram. When I was having the troubles I had only 1g of ram.after adding the gig, I have yet to have any lock-ups even after playing for hours. BF2 is an extreme resource hog.
                  Okay but that doesn't make it true for all systems, 1 GB is playable and shouldn't make it lockup permanently.

I have 2x1GB myself, I would rather have too much than too little.

Also Intel systems see a relatively bigger increase in performance if you have 2 GB than 1 GB, the increase in AMD systems isn't that big, relatively speaking.

Comment

Here is the 1GB vs. 2 GB performance charts on AMD and Intel systems:

Performance Impact of Changing Memory Size from 1GB to 2GB
                    News | Posted by Brandon Hill on Sep 1st, 2005 from Email

Corsair has posted a 4-page application note on the impact of going from 1GB to 2GB of system memory. Report is in PDF form.

Battlefield 2 Flight Demo

"We were very eager to run testing on Battlefield 2, as current user feedback indicated that this game performed much better with larger amounts of memory. As expected, the increase in memory array size from 1 GByte to 2 GByte had a very substantial performance impact on this game. We found that this to be the case regardless of processor platform, as well as regardless of screen resolution."

Summary

"The performance increase realized in real-world applications like Battlefield 2 and Permier elements indicate that the current generation of enthusiast systems will certainly benefit from the selection of 2 GByte memory arrays. These benefits will become greater in the next six months as new memory-intensive applications and games are brought to market."
                    News and reviews of PC components, smartphones, tablets, pre-built desktops, notebooks, Macs and enterprise/cloud computing technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny Highway
                      Wow, great triple posting mania (not sarcastic at all) very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy01741
                        Wow, great triple posting mania (not sarcastic at all) very helpful.
                        Hehe I use the Display Modes HYBRID or THREADED, instead of LINEAR here on forum so it is easier to notice which post ppl are replying to, and gives a better view on conversations in a thread, so I hadn't noticed that it would look like 3 post in a row

Comment

I have 1 gig of RAM and a 6600GT VC. It worked perfectly fine, no lag, great performance. Like others have mentioned, since the patch, it will just lock up! I can still hear the sounds in the background as well which is weird....

I dunno, I'll check to see if new VC drivers are out from NVIDIA, but either way, it's a real **** of a patch! Worked perfectly fine before. Prolly a whole new can of worms have been opened as a result of this patch!

Comment

I got freezes after the patch so for the moment I have tried to reduce the overclock on my 3D card.

Comment

I have exactly the same problem and it is really starting to annoy me. It has just made the game unplayable.

Comment

Working...
                              X