new RAM problem, help if you would

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new RAM problem, help if you would

hey guys, i had 1 gig of RAM, and then i purchased another gig of RAM i now have 4 512mb sticks of RAM. Here's my problem, it wont work with all 4 sticks in. i believe it's because 3 of them are DDR at 400mhz, but one of them is pc2700(300 or 350mhz?? im not sure)

anyways, is there anyway to have all 4 work together? i mean before i bought and extra gig i had one stick at 400mhz, and then one at pc2700 so those were different. so why does it matter now? thanks for the help guys

edit: oh and when i try to start up my pc a screen doesnt come up, the computer just makes a faint beeping noise.

Re: new RAM problem, help if you would

bump, anyone?

Comment

No, that should not be the problem. If one stick is slower RAM then all other sticks will just work at the speed of the slowest RAM. I use 2 PC4200 sticks at the moment combined with 2 PC3200 sticks I had laying around, it decreases memory bandwidth a bit but other than that it runs fine.

1) make sure all of your sticks are inserted correctly and all the way. I have had it happen a few times that one of the RAM sticks wasnt inserted all the way.

2) if that doesnt help: remove all sticks and boot with just one of the new sticks, if it boots, run a RAM checker to check that that stick of RAM is good, repeat for both new sticks to make sure you do not have a bad stick of RAM, its possible, it has happened to me

Let us know what happens

Comment

U got to see if ur ram bios settings r in automatic defs., if one of them not fully inserted or faulty.... check them 1 at time like Mutrino said.

Comment

First of all set all the sticks to 333Mhz, then run a full pass of memtest (www.memtest.org)

Comment

Working...
          X