Does 5.1 work in BF2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does 5.1 work in BF2?

I have the Logitech Z-5500 speaker system and a Audigy 2 sound card. I currently have it hooked up digitally with a coaxial cable.
    I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar system and do they get Dolby Digital displayed on the LED display. Currently I only can play in stereo, stereo 2, ProLogic Movie and ProLogic Music.
    What are your settings? Does BF2 put out a digital 5.1 signal?
    Thanks,

Re: Does 5.1 work in BF2?

I could stand behind you and make my best foot step and plane noises.

Comment

I have onboard sound but the nvidia sound setup thing has an option for 5.1, 5.1 (Dolby Digital) so I have mine on digital, and I get 5.1 in game. You'll have to set it to 5.1 in windows.

Comment

I really don't think it does, although a few people here believe that their 5.1 systems help them find where the sniper is shooting from, or where an enemy is coming from.

*In before the masses of guys with their $300 speakers, and XFI soundcards trying to justify their purchases.*

Comment

yes.....5.1 works

Comment

But what does your speaker system say. The LED dislpay should tell you if it's getting Dolby 5.1 or DTS 5.1. I don't think ProLogic Surround is 5.1?
            Anyone else have this or a similar system, what does the LED read?
            Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Underpant
              I really don't think it does, although a few people here believe that their 5.1 systems help them find where the sniper is shooting from, or where an enemy is coming from.

*In before the masses of guys with their $300 speakers, and XFI soundcards trying to justify their purchases.*
              Oh yah, I have a 5.1 system, and it works really well. I can actually hear where enemy comes from.

And 5.1 helps a lot when someone trys to knife me from the back when I snipe, because I can hear his footsteps approaching.

Comment

ill chime in on this one.... i have a z-5500 system with a audigy 2 and NO bf2 doesnt send a digital signal..yoru going to have to connect it analog using the front,rear,center connections (green, black, pink). the coax only decodes signals from DD and DTS sources, which is all the coax is good for besides listening to stereo sources. computer video games usually dont have DD or DTS algorithms for games becuase computers have seperate hardware sound processors (audigy 2). i have yet to see a game on PC render a stream in DD or DTS.

Comment

I have my system setup properly with analog connections, emulating 5.1, and I hear everything properly.

I recently updated to nforce 4 (6.66), and other than my system not shutting down properly now (**** off) I noticed that my in-heli and in-tank sounds are more accurate, less pronounced.

As mentioned previously, you will need to have Windows recognize the system as a 5.1 sound output, whether it's digital or analog. The game needs to have the proper 5.1 encoding, I think EAX is the emulator.

PEACE

Comment

Cotizi,
                    What does your LED read when you play BF2.
                    Input: Direct???
                    Effect: Prologic Movie, Music, 6 CH Direct, stereo, stereo x2????

Thanks,

Comment

input has to be on direct, and effect has to be on 6 channel direct (thats the analog connections). make sure windows has 5.1 selected and make sure thats the same on audigy 2's speaker selection screen. you should be good to go. if u ever wanta watch dvds thats when u use coaxial. lemme know if u have any problems and ill be glad to help.

Comment

Yes it does.

Comment

Thanks for your help, hopefully I can try those settings tonight along with that new 1.03 patch!

Comment

The Audigy 2 does not encode the analog signal to DD. What you are getting through the coax is digital PCM, a stereo source, that is why you have all those options for pro logic etc. There are not many cards that will encode in dolby for you right now. None of the Creative cards encode to DD from a real-time source. Like everyone has said, if you want surround you have to go analog. If you do want a sound card that does encode in dd, look for the Bluegears/HDA Mystique card. There are some cheaper solutions that also encode to DD but I have no experience with them. Also, some motherboards with the azalia HD codec will also encode in DD along with some nforce2 boards. Hope that helps.

Comment

Man..5.1 works SOOOOOOO well in this game.

I remember wanting working 5.1 in BFV and never got it...MAN did they ever botch the audio in that game...

Comment

Working...
                              X