Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question...about RAM!

Hi guya/gals

I'm looking to upgrade my memory also like alot of people are by the looks of things.

I currently have 2x256 (512Mb) working in Dual Channel.

Could I insert 2x1mb (2Mb) in my other two empty slots and keep the (512Mb) or should I sell the (512Mb) and just keep the (2Mb)

Thanks.

Re: Question...about RAM!

You will find the best performance by using only the two 1GB modules. Using the remainder of your RAM will most likely cause a slow-down of your memory subsystem.

Comment

Thanks Shamus.

Comment

Why would that slow it down, the more ram the faster correct?

Comment

Originally posted by BooM
          Why would that slow it down, the more ram the faster correct?
          No, incorrect. I have 4 memory slots with 4 x 512 Mb modules total, this setup is actually a bit *slower* than 2 x 512 Mb.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutrino
            No, incorrect. I have 4 memory slots with 4 x 512 Mb modules total, this setup is actually a bit *slower* than 2 x 512 Mb.
            Just about every one using 4x512 is in the same boat. Even though the memory speed usually reverts back to 333Mhz, accessing RAM is still much faster than accessing the hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus
              Just about every one using 4x512 is in the same boat. Even though the memory speed usually reverts back to 333Mhz, accessing RAM is still much faster than accessing the hard drive.
              Of course, accessing RAM is always faster than accessing the harddrive. *Overall* the larger amount of RAM offsets the fact that the memory bandwidth has decreased. With my old videocard, Radeon 9700 pro, I had 4927 3Dmarks03 when using 1 Gb and 5217 3D marks03 with 2 Gb.

Comment

I don't think its slower, perhaps you mis-inturpertated (or whatever) the findings. The 13% decrease in performance was the theoretical performance of have 4x512 @ the same speed as 2x512, however it was found that it actually performs 13% under what it should.

I have 4x512 DDR2, and this is not a problem (thank goodness).

Comment

Working...
                X