Salvaging RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvaging RAM

I'll make this quick. My father has a 2001 IBM Netvista (not sure of the precise model) that he's looking to get rid of. I however, have other plans. I was wondering if the RAM in that could be put into my machine. My computer uses SODIMM RAM, so I was wondering if someone could find out if a 2001 IBM Netvista uses SODIMM RAM. Also, could someone find out for me what kind of videocard said Netvista used. If you do, is it any better than an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200?

Re: Salvaging RAM

Your 5200 should beat anything from 2001 :laugh:

Comment

Well, since IBM sold out to Lenovo in China, it's hard to find documentation on older IBM products. But I thought the Netvista series were desktop systems which would use a different type memory module than does the SODIMM that is in your laptop.

Comment

I don't have a laptop, it's a desktop. I meant DIMM, not SODIMM, sorry.

Comment

I see. Since the donor PC is from '01, I would guess it is using regular SDRAM like PC66; PC100 or PC133 standard. It depends upon your system if it will work or not since I don't know what you have. Most likely, if you have a newer system, you are using DDRRAM like PC2700 or PC3200 standards - in which case, they are not compatible.

Comment

Working...
          X