Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really Strange problem?!

Hello,

Ive been playing BF2 for a while, and surprisingly, I reached the level of lance corporal. First, let me show my PC SPECS:

-Intel P4 2.8 GHz
    -1024 (512X2) Ram
    -80 GB SATA Hard Drive
    -Creative Audigy 2 ZS Value
    -MSI FX 5200 graphics card
    -256 KBPs broadband connection

Kinda old system, but I shall upgrade soon. This is what happened. When I started playing BF2 online, I had really high lag (average 165). I had a low-med setting of graphics. When I tried getting the graphics higher, to a med-med setting, the lag (obviously) lagged more (average 230). I then returned to my previous setting of average 165, but to my utmost surprise, the lag remained at 230! I run the resolution at 1024X768 60GHz, i returned everything to low and of, view distance at 100%, and still the lag wont go down to its previous state. Does this sound normal to anyone?!

Secondly, with my connection at 256KBps and the above computer specs, can anyone here tell me what to do to get the lag down? I really need help. I plan on getting these upgrades:

-AMD-64 3200
    -GeForce 6800 ultra

After I get those upgrades, should my lag go down?

Thanks

EDIT: Also, can anyone tell me which is better, AMD 3200 or Intel P4 3200? I will get this upgrade real soon and I need to know which is best for BF2

Re: Really Strange problem?!

Not so much, as lag is really a fault of your internet connection...the faster the connection, the less lag you have...

But nice upgrade you will be aiming for

Comment

Originally posted by JungleMaster
      Not so much, as lag is really a fault of your internet connection...the faster the connection, the less lag you have...

But nice upgrade you will be aiming for
      Thanks Junglemaster, may I ask what connection you've got?

Comment

i'm not sure if your graphics card can handle the settings either.....

i have
        AMD Athlon 2400 xp
        1 gig
        geforce 5700le
        1 meg connection and i run on all low settings with some lag now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by FTA-mdk

i have
          AMD Athlon 2400 xp
          1 gig
          geforce 5700le
          I know that my graphics card is archaic, but by the end of this month, Im getting the 6800ultra PCI-E. Surprisingly, in singleplayer, my graphics settings are set to med-high, works with no problems.

Once I upgrade the graphics card and processor, could I see a slight change in lag? even a little bit?

Comment

Just don't forget that you don't just 'throw in' a PCI-E graphics card on any old motherboard, as not all of them support AGPx16 which you'll need to support the Ultra 6800 . . . not to mention the PSU upgrade to handle the new GPU's power requirements!

Comment

Originally posted by Greystreak
              Just don't forget that you don't just 'throw in' a PCI-E graphics card on any old motherboard, as not all of them support AGPx16 which you'll need to support the Ultra 6800 . . . not to mention the PSU upgrade to handle the new GPU's power requirements!
              Yah yah sure. I will also get a new motherboard, its just that I do not know its name!

EDIT: Call me a noob, but whats a "PSU"

Comment

PSU = "Power Supply Unit".

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Col.9a3aR
                  Hello,

Ive been playing BF2 for a while, and surprisingly, I reached the level of lance corporal. First, let me show my PC SPECS:

-Intel P4 2.8 GHz
                  -1024 (512X2) Ram
                  -80 GB SATA Hard Drive
                  -Creative Audigy 2 ZS Value
                  -MSI FX 5200 graphics card
                  -256 KBPs broadband connection

Kinda old system, but I shall upgrade soon. This is what happened. When I started playing BF2 online, I had really high lag (average 165). I had a low-med setting of graphics. When I tried getting the graphics higher, to a med-med setting, the lag (obviously) lagged more (average 230). I then returned to my previous setting of average 165, but to my utmost surprise, the lag remained at 230! I run the resolution at 1024X768 60GHz, i returned everything to low and of, view distance at 100%, and still the lag wont go down to its previous state. Does this sound normal to anyone?!

Secondly, with my connection at 256KBps and the above computer specs, can anyone here tell me what to do to get the lag down? I really need help. I plan on getting these upgrades:

-AMD-64 3200
                  -GeForce 6800 ultra

After I get those upgrades, should my lag go down?

Thanks

EDIT: Also, can anyone tell me which is better, AMD 3200 or Intel P4 3200? I will get this upgrade real soon and I need to know which is best for BF2

AMD is a bit better than Pentium, bcus it runs on a slower bus speed and thus less hot in the box. Video card is way better than 5200 (ofcus), and i agree with others... ur connection to the internet is ur major problem... 2Mb - 2,5Mb is the recommended.

Comment

Whenever you change video settings and you feel like they have not had the proper effect (as you described), it can help to clear your cache files. They're located in Your Documents, in the Battlefield 2 folder. I believe it's a folder called "cache" and you can delete the files inside (you may want to do a quick search on the forums here for the correct location in case I am wrong).
                    Then the next time you play, the loading will take a little longer as it rebuilds the shaders in the cache.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Col.9a3aR
                      Yah yah sure. I will also get a new motherboard, its just that I do not know its name!

EDIT: Call me a noob, but whats a "PSU"
                      Usually it's bought with the PC's case, but if u know how to change it u can buy it as a piece. Usually it's referenced by it's power in Watts... 350Watts is the standards, u can find up to 600W and more...

Comment

nice aiming for an upgrade. also, try to upgrade ur internet speed. it is kinda bad. but good enuf.
                        Originally posted by FTA-mdk

i have
                        AMD Athlon 2400 xp
                        1 gig
                        geforce 5700le
                        look at my specs in my sig. i run medium and get little bit of lag. i run on low and get 98 fps during artys. something is wrong wit ur comp. i am upgrading to 1 gig by oct 8th. cant wait
                        maybe it is because of ur GHz. i overclocked mine.

Comment

Thanks guys for the help, it really will of much use to me. When I shall upgrade my PC, I shall make sure the PSU is no less than 350W. FLYWAYchat, you've bolstered my opinion on the AMD-64, and thats what Im gonna get. PeekJ, I did clear out the cache files, and yes, the game ran a little less sloppier.

kewl e-man, seeing youre specs clearly says that the problem IS with my connection, as many people have pointed out. Ill try to sort that out after the hardware upgrades.

Thanks alot guys.

Comment

Originally posted by FLYWAYchat
                            2Mb - 2,5Mb is the recommended.
                            Depends on where you connect to, it also depends on your ISP and whethr they prioritise UDP packets.
                            For example an AOL 2mb connection will yield higher ping than an ISP aimed for gamers running at 1mb.

I have a 1mb ADSL connection with a good ISP and I ping 18-25 on all European servers, even full 64 player ones.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenPirate
                              Depends on where you connect to, it also depends on your ISP and whethr they prioritise UDP packets.
                              For example an AOL 2mb connection will yield higher ping than an ISP aimed for gamers running at 1mb.
                              Yeh, I know that.
                              Even ISPs change / get changed their performance due to their connection growth (and not supported in time).
                              I've just mentioned the recomendations by developers of game.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X