10k hd and 7k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10k hd and 7k

I have a 7,400rpm hard drive and im thinking of getting a raptor 30gb 10,000rpm hard drive. Can i still combine these two together?? Or will the speeds together do something weird and not work.

Re: 10k hd and 7k

i got 2x 10K raptors.. its fast in standard config, and a slight bit faster in RAID-0. i recommend 72G over the 36..it has a 1-2 ms faster read time.

Comment

You can use them at the same time but not in RAID. They would be best used on seperate channels with no other device on that channel.

If BF2 were on the 10K drive, loading and verrification times would improve for you over the 7.2K drive.

Comment

ok how do i put it in standard other than raid, i thought there was only one slot for the hd cable

Comment

it depends if you want to go with ide or sata hard drives

with ide you can put both hard drives on one cable which has two channels
          with sata you can only put one hard drive per channel

raid 0 would be the fastest because it spreads the information over both hard drives, meaning 2 hard drives do the work of 1

raid 1 isnt neccessary for games, all it does is copy the information on to both hard drives so that if one ever failed, you still have the other one to work with, basically a back up

most hard drives are only ata 100 or 133
          so the loading times would be based more off the ata speed of the motherboard, so if your mother board supports up to ata133
          133 is as fast as the raid is going to go. even if you have the raid 0

now scsi, thats a whole nother story

Comment

Working...
          X