Help for a noob...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for a noob...

OK, I just started playing BF2 this weekend - my first BF game. Im not a total noob at FPS though, having played lots of Quake3 and Q3: Urban Terror before. However, this is the first fps i have played with vehicles and terrain fighting (rather than CQB style fights). I only play the 64 player maps, as big battles seem to be the point of BF2.

What i need to understand is....tactically, what is the most useful thing to do for your team as a new player? Because of Q3, I can do the infantry stuff at close quarters, but not the vehicles. what i dont get is whether to capture a good base (e.g. one with AA defense) and then defend it for most of the battle, or to keep attacking at bases held by the enemy.

It seems that whenever one side has nearly all the bases, they lose lots of the rear bases that arent manned....but if you defend, you lose too many tickets. Any tips?

a few other quick questions:

Is there a way to make the crouch button a toggle rather than hold? sometimes if you are crouching behind something it can get really annoying holding it down.

If the base you selected to spawn at gets lost, its really annoying that you just *don't respawn*. Is there a way around this?

finally, does anyone know of a good all-karkand server in the UK/Europe? Its my favourite map by far (the most like a Q3:UrT map i suppose, because of the close fighting).

Re: Help for a noob...

For newbies the most tactical thing to do on your team is to either be:
    A. Cannon Fodder
    B. Medic or Support

You won't be able to spawn once all your flags are capped.

As of now I don't think that you can toggle crouch.

To get all Karkand servers just search 24/7 in your filters and you will find servers with 24/7 Strike at Karkand and other city maps.

As for defending and attacking you need to a little bit of both. If a flag is getting capped it's best to arrive with reinforcements, and after you've defended that flag. Move on and attack the enemy flag. Fall back if necessary to defend the flag you've just defended, and work together as a team. Main base flags should be a #1 priority on the defensive side.

Good luck!

Comment

i agree with ghost. start out as a medic or support. or maybe even Specops and blow up assests

Comment

I take the point.

however, as a Quaker there is one thing im quite good at - bunnyhopping, circle strafing and shooting people :evil:

i ten'd to come off quite well in firefights with troops, especially with the Assault M4 on burst and that lovely gren launcher.

im really thinking about how best i can fit what i like doing and am good at - infantry fighting - into what the team does.

but yes, im going to try some demolition stuff, it looks like good fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadeski
          I take the point.

however, as a Quaker there is one thing im quite good at - bunnyhopping, circle strafing and shooting people :evil:

i ten'd to come off quite well in firefights with troops, especially with the Assault M4 on burst and that lovely gren launcher.

im really thinking about how best i can fit what i like doing and am good at - infantry fighting - into what the team does.

but yes, im going to try some demolition stuff, it looks like good fun.
          Bunnyhopping is usually not welcomed in BF2, beware of that.
          circle strafing, well, it'll get you killed more often.

There are several class categories you should remember:

Attacking:
          >> Assault - Full on, straightforward, anti-infantry class.

>> Spec Ops - anti-infantry, but the C4 makes this class flexible
          as it can also destroy anything it can lay the C4's on.
          (includes tanks, enemy commander assets, etc)

>> AntiTank - the name says it all.

Supporting:
          >> Support - their main usage is resupplying team mates with ammunition,
          while they do carry miniguns it's extremely hard to actually hit someone
          with them without much practice, and supressive fire doesn't work in bf2.

>> Medic - heal, revive teammates, and engage targets of opportunity.

>> Engineer - repair your team's assets, primarily used while flying as a passenger
          in a helicopter(NOT the attack heli), you can attack enemies but better do it up close
          and pray to god they don't see you in time since you're stuck with the shotgun.
          (sneak up from behind)

Solo:
          >> Sniper - your job is to find a spot where the enemy won't easily notice you,
          then attempt to get headshots at enemies, preferrably sam-occupants first.

Also, a very useful guide can be read here: http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12843

Comment

Hey and welcome to BF2 First in forth most. Make sure you check the box in the filter list that says Ranked Second type 100 in the ping box so you never lag. Third try out each class. Fourth join a squad. Since your new you can join a squad of about 6 people. all working together so you can really own! Squads also use VOIP. So if you have a mic just hold down the "B" key to talk into your mic! Fifth if you are new to the game I'm fully willing to play with you. Hit me up on aim or any of these clients

Aim-soraflair
            MSN MSG-soraflair@hotmail.com
            Xfire-soraflair
            Yahoo-soraflair
            Name in game-soraflair

Comment

The most useful thing is to join a squad & back-up your teammates. If they're going for a flag-cap, hang back & cover their asses ! Support & medic are also great for assistance.

Comment

I recommend being an MEC medic on Strike a Karkand and no matter what, even if it means death, go for a revival!

Comment

Thanks for all the tips

ive tried out most of the classes now, and i think ill try and work on Assault and Medic.

its a good game, but as soon as the terrain opens out i just get raped like a noob. close quaters is good clean fragging though

ill try and read up some guides, and yeah i figured out the squadleader spawn and things today. very useful...now i just need to figure out how the leader commands work, cos i cant find the menu for the life of me

Comment

Working...
                  X