Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Optimize Linksys router for online gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimize Linksys router for online gaming?

I'm wondering if there's anything I should do with my Linksys router in order to optimize online gaming?

I've got Linksys "Wireless-G Broadband" Model WRT54G router that I purchased earlier this month. My gaming PC is wire-connected to the router and the router itself accesses the Internet via a Comcast broadband cable modem. My Dell PC is about 5 months old, so I'm assuming the network card hardware is reasonably up to date.

The Linksys configuration app includes some options, such as "Port Range Forwarding" that may be applicable to online gaming, but I thought I would check here first before tweaking.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-- Dasharatha

Re: Optimize Linksys router for online gaming?

You shouldn't have to change anything.

You've already done the most important thing and that is to plug directly into the router.

You COULD forward port 16567 to your gaming computer's internal IP...but if BF2 is working, then there really is no need.

If you have LOTS of computer plugged in to this router, then you could set up a dedicated machine to prioritize packets...but I wouldn't recommend it...it's quite a hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Talus
      You shouldn't have to change anything.

You've already done the most important thing and that is to plug directly into the router.

You COULD forward port 16567 to your gaming computer's internal IP...but if BF2 is working, then there really is no need.

If you have LOTS of computer plugged in to this router, then you could set up a dedicated machine to prioritize packets...but I wouldn't recommend it...it's quite a hassle.
      Thanks Talus. As a BF2 newbie, the only problem I've been having (occasionally) is being kicked off a server for having too high a ping (250+), though I think that may be at times due to my better half checking her e-mail from her wireless laptop.

I just want to make sure there isn't anything obvious I should do to my router.

RELATED QUESTION: While McAfee virus scanning is turned off for play, I do have the McAfee firewall still running. Could that be a bottleneck?

Thanks again.

-- Dasharatha

Comment

lol, you could always hack the router and OC the processor (certain models of Linksys have micro-processors in them). My friend did this and OC'd it to 100 times the speed of factory.....it lasted him one week, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by KingOfKhaos
          lol, you could always hack the router and OC the processor (certain models of Linksys have micro-processors in them). My friend did this and OC'd it to 100 times the speed of factory.....it lasted him one week, lol.
          Hmmmm. Did his router just stop working, or did it melt first? :laugh:

BTW, I just played an hour-long session with a ping that was as smooth as glass. Guess my router's fine as it is.

-- Dasharatha

Comment

Oh yes..your router sounds like it's fine.

Me? I disable all software firewalls (and ANY other application/process) prior to playing BF2...but that's me

Comment

Actually it just started smoking as the core literally burnt itself out.

Comment

Working...
              X