• Show
Clear All

• Great FPS but WTF???

Just upgraded to a:

AMD 64 3400+ 1MB
    1GB OCZ PC3200
    Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    Onboard audio [upgrading to a Live! 24bit tomorrow]

I'm having wonderful frames per second ingame, everything is smooth as a baby's butt.. however.. I'm having this really annoying problem. As I walk, run, or turn the to a different angle I have this weird delay in movement. For example, walking forward and turning to the right with my mouse, but all of the screen just freezes and my character continues to move forward.. a second later my screen would appear in the direction I should be facing.

Playing on 1024X7XX everything on full with 2x AA in singleplayer with 32 bots. No problem with audio.. but this graphically lag spike that comes up out of nowhere.

Any help is much appreciated!

Re: Great FPS but WTF???

Another gig of ram will fix it, or maybe your mouse isn't plugged in all the way if it's taking a second to realize you are moving it.

Don't waste your money on a Live 24 bit. I have it, you cant use hardware option, and onboard is almost just as good as it. Save up for an audigy 2 zs.

Comment

Originally posted by g30hd3
      Just upgraded to a:

AMD 64 3400+ 1MB
      1GB OCZ PC3200
      Geforce 6800 GT 256MB

I'm having wonderful frames per second ingame, everything is smooth as a baby's butt.. however.. I'm having this really annoying problem. As I walk, run, or turn the to a different angle I have this weird delay in movement. For example, walking forward and turning to the right with my mouse, but all of the screen just freezes and my character continues to move forward.. a second later my screen would appear in the direction I should be facing.

Playing on 1024X7XX everything on full with 2x AA in singleplayer with 32 bots. No problem with audio.. but this graphically lag spike that comes up out of nowhere.

I have

AMD 64 3400+ 754 512K oc'd to 2.52
      1.5 GB DDR @ 333
      XFX 6800GT 256MB

I run at full everything.. except medium on lighting.. with 2x AA.. @ 1280x960 .. without a single hiccup.. the game runs like **** on only 1GB ram.. if u have an extra slot.. even just 512mb will make a HUGE difference

Comment

i had a similar problem. The only solution i found was to go into the options and disable VOIP. Never had it again.

Comment

Exact same problem - big jolts when i turn.

Im running Athlon X2 4400+, 1Gb PC3700 Corsair XMS, Asus A8N-SLI, Gigabyte Geforce 7800GTX, RAID 0 array with 2x Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 SataII NCQ 250Gb Hdds.

I'm really quite annoyed that it doesnt run smoothly...

Comment

pojo you need more than a gig of ram. You cannot run bf2 with maxed out settings if you dont have at least 1.5 gbs.

Comment

how much fps do u actually need to play good? in CS it was 99-101 FPS, i knew how to get that there, but how u ge it here? rly need help on this one, i once did a command and saw for example 35/45 in the corner (fps) is that good? cause in my opinion thats sooooo low !

Comment

100 FPS is rediculous, that's faster than your monitor probably refreshes so it's pointless anyway.

You need as many FPS as you need to keep the game smooth to your eyes in big action. There's not really a magic number, but if you're keeping 35-45 FPS in high-action then surely that's fine?

Oh, and by the way, you don't "need" 2 gigs of RAM to run the game. You "need" it if you want to run the game maxed out with good FPS...if you turn the graphics down a little, like me, you only need 768mb RAM to run just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by HicRic
                  100 FPS is rediculous, that's faster than your monitor probably refreshes so it's pointless anyway.

There's not really a magic number, but if you're keeping 35-45 FPS in high-action then surely that's fine?
                  The difference between 35FPS & 100FPS is very noticable in BF2 imo.
                  Refresh rates are measured in Hertz, FPS is frames per second.

Comment

Originally posted by HicRic

You need as many FPS as you need to keep the game smooth to your eyes in big action. There's not really a magic number, but if you're keeping 35-45 FPS in high-action then surely that's fine?

Oh, and by the way, you don't "need" 2 gigs of RAM to run the game. You "need" it if you want to run the game maxed out with good FPS...if you turn the graphics down a little, like me, you only need 768mb RAM to run just fine.

well when ur fps is low the people will not be on the right spot where u think they are (visual)! For the server there somewhere else (not like a yard away from where u see em but a little incehs more to the left, right , and so on.

Comment

Actually Hertz and FPS are related. I'm not going to dig up the post, but someone posted the exact measurements.

Comment

u need 1.21 jigawatts to properly run BF2.

Comment

Originally posted by g30hd3
                          Just upgraded to a:

AMD 64 3400+ 1MB
                          1GB OCZ PC3200
                          Geforce 6800 GT 256MB

I had that before and the only thing I can attribute it to was internet traffic that was interrupting the game. For example, in Single Player I got this while I had Azureus running in the background. I turned it off and bingo bango, it stopped. If you're sure nothing is running in the background then try this

Uninstall
                          Run Registry mechanic
                          Run Adaware
                          Run Windows cleanup tool
                          Defrag
                          Shut down completely
                          Defrag again (won't take very long the second time aroud)
                          re-install

With my specs I can play with most things on high and 4X AA and STILL get decent FPS so I don't see why you are having these problems. I'm wondering if it's your Power Supply Unit. You may not be getting all the juice you need to run your new toys Another thing to consider is:

- How many things do you have running in background while playing? (I have 17)

- How much space you you have left on the drive you've installed B2 on? (I have 32.6 out of 60)

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by skunk-dogz
                            The difference between 35FPS & 100FPS is very noticable in BF2 imo.
                            Refresh rates are measured in Hertz, FPS is frames per second.
                            FPS = frames per second
                            Hz = cycles per second (i.e. screen refreshes per second)

How are they NOT related?

Seems pretty simple to me.

If I have a game running at 100 fps but my monitor can only display a maximum of 75 Hz (75 refreshes per second) then it will not be displaying those extra 25 frames that my computer is spending the extra processing time on.

So...the REAL question is..what refresh rate do you have your monitor set to?

Besides..FPS is very subjective. I can survive on a much lower FPS than somebody else and still be happy.

Counter-Strike is an ANCIENT game that runs well on even ANCIENT systems...so SURE you're going to get amazing FPS. Plus, it sucks

BF2 is a brand new game (which isn't properly optimized...yet...I'm looking at you, DICE) that looks absolutely beautiful and STILL runs at great FPS even on slightly older systems. The Battlefield series rocks.

We're comparing apples and oranges here.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitemare
                              Save up for an audigy 2 zs.

so are they good

Comment

Working...
                              X