X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner looking for help

Hi,

I am new here so please go easy!!

I reently got BF2 and am enjoying it a lot, great game.
    I am however having a small problem and would like to pick the brains of the guys on here.

When I run the game is tends to slow down a bit when playing, a bit jerky, and once or twice has crashed completely. I thought I had the required spec to run it on High. The default settings it gave me were High with Lighting at Med and 1024*768*60Hz. I am a bit unsure as to the HZ rating, what is better, is 75Hz better than 60Hz??

Maybe you guys can guide me as to what system I should have to run everything up High with no slow down.
    My system details are below

P4 3Ghz
    1024 Ram
    Geforce 6800GT AGP

I thought I had plenty to run it but maybe my settings are out, there are so many settings on the video card control panel that I really do not know which ones to change.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Michael.

Re: Beginner looking for help

OK, the glitching and staggering will be because of your RAM, to be able to run on all high i would recomend 2GB. you might want to try and bring back just a few settig\ngs, like dynamic light/shadows. I also get this craching to desktop and havnt figured it out yet. For me it only started with the patch, but i hope that it is sorted out with the new patch coming out.. so cross your fingers.

Comment

I never get problems with 1Gb..

Comment

2xAA all High, Med light/shadows, can't tell sound but medium w/EAX off and Software if you have onboard sound. You'll be able to play at resolutions up to 1280x968 with good fps. 2gig will make a difference in studdering and load times.

Comment

High Textures has a large impact on perfomance but not much difference in image quality. Medium is the best setting for most of us. Dynamic Lighting and Dynamic Shadows are two other performance killers. The same rule here too - huge performance impact but not a big image quality improvement. Medium is recommended for this too.

Lastly, from me, Texture Filtering set to High brings you down several fps. Adjusting this setting to 2X looks to same to me as does the high setting. Ditto for AA.

To save yourself some system memory, use the Audio setting for "English Voices Only" to shave off several hundred MBs.

Welcome to the boards and have fun! :nod:

Comment

Yea, as previously mentioned you can run the game with everything but textures on high with 1GB. If you want textures on high, you need over 1GB. Other things to try cure performance issues include updating (video/sound/motherboard) drivers, limiting background programs in Windows and deleting the BF2 Cache files in My Documents and let it optimise shaders again. Do a search to find out exactly what to clear as Im at work and unsure.

The Hz part of the screen resolution is basically how many times per second your monitor refreshes the screen...the higher the less strain on your eyes meaning more hours gaming. 60Hz is too low....85 - 100hz is best.

Comment

Working...
            X