Question about cs1.6 video settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about cs1.6 video settings

In the options menu in CS 1.6, under video settings, theres a thing where u can change the color quality from 16bit to 32bit but when i played both of htem... i couldnt tell a difference...does anyone kno what the differerence is?

Re: Question about cs1.6 video settings

16bit color means the game will run using a possible 65536 (2^16) colors.
    32bit color means the game will run using a possible 4294967296 (2^32) colors.

The greater the bit depth, the more individual colors the game is able to use at once, and hence the game should look better, provided the textures actually use the colors available. However, given the original (non-Steam) Half-Life only ran in 16bit color, the textures were probably only 16bit as well and hence, you won't see much difference between the two.

16bit would technically be a little faster than 32bit color, but modern graphics cards would cause the difference to be entirely unnoticable. I'd put it at 32bit myself, to allow the engine some buffer so that any lighting techniques/effects it uses can be of the highest quality.

Comment

Originally posted by GFree
      32bit color means the game will run using a possible 4294967296 (2^32) colors.
      Strictly speaking, "32-bit color" only uses 24 bits for the actual color (8 for red, 8 for green, and 8 for blue giving 16777216 total color combinations) and 8 bits for the alpha channel.

(And for those wondering, in 3D apps, the alpha channel is just used as a mask to determine how overlaying pixels are merged together.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Hudson
        Strictly speaking, "32-bit color" only uses 24 bits for the actual color (8 for red, 8 for green, and 8 for blue giving 16777216 total color combinations) and 8 bits for the alpha channel.

(And for those wondering, in 3D apps, the alpha channel is just used as a mask to determine how overlaying pixels are merged together.)
        Smart arse.

Even though you're entirely correct... smart arse.

Comment

Working...
        X