Dual Core Processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Core Processors

Hi guys, i was thinking of getting a AMD 64 3800+ Dual Core processor and wondering if they are any good, also are the dual cores compatible with games? cuase my ass of a friend from skool told me that the dual cores dont work with ayn games.

Re: Dual Core Processors

Originally posted by hohmann
    Hi guys, i was thinking of getting a AMD 64 3800+ Dual Core processor and wondering if they are any good, also are the dual cores compatible with games? cuase my ass of a friend from skool told me that the dual cores dont work with ayn games.

Of course they work with games. Dual core works with any software you install on the OS. What he might have ment is that most software nowadays, including games, do not make use of the dual core process power, since they are programmed as a "one process" program instead of more then one process program (the actuall term is called "thread").
    This means that your game will work as roughly one 3800 processor, and not 3800*2. But at any time a software uses more then one process, you will get the adavntage of the two cores. You will also feel the difference when two or more programs will run together, so for an example, if your anti virus program will suddenly start doing its thing while you play, you will suffer much less from the annoying drop of FPS you might feel today.

Oh, and it is a fine CPU. I'm planning on getting the same one a few month from now (in any case, for games - AMD rules big time. In dual they rule too).

Comment

is a 3800 dual core mean 2 x 3800 chips or 2 x 1900 chips?

Comment

i was reading about dual cores here.
        AMD rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by jonnysanchez
          is a 3800 dual core mean 2 x 3800 chips or 2 x 1900 chips?
          nah mate, a dual core processor isnt two cpu's lol, inside the one cpu it has two cores instead of one.

Comment

nah mate, a dual core processor isnt two cpu's lol, inside the one cpu it has two cores instead of one.
            This is a philosophical question (or marekting if you will) - the core is the main processing unit, so basically it is two CPUs on one chip. And it is 3800*2, and not 1900*2. (It's not clocked at 3800 by the way. It is a marketing name, used to compare the 3800 of intel's CPU's to AMD's.

Comment

Yup.. They DO have dual PROCESSOR boards though. Im suprised that they didn't take off as much as all the current trends (SLI, PCI-E, Dual Core, 64bit etc).

Comment

Originally posted by felix**fs
                Yup.. They DO have dual core boards though. Im suprised that they didn't take off as much as all the current trends (SLI, PCI-E, Dual Core, 64bit etc).
                You realise that you just said Dual Core didn't take off as much as Dual Core, right? :laugh:
                Anyway, technological advances aren't trends.

Comment

I was reading about dual core here:

Thread in Hardware section here at TBF2

A search for dual or core would have found this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Zonko
                    You realise that you just said Dual Core didn't take off as much as Dual Core, right? :laugh:
                    Anyway, technological advances aren't trends.

Whoops!
                    **DUAL PROCESSOR**
                    Thanks for pointing it out, I just edited it

Comment

2xcores does not mean 2x power for gaming just get a 4000+

Comment

Dual core is like hyper threading but double the caculation per cycle, last time I checked BF2 dont run better with hyper threading so I wont expect it to run better with dual core, that is, just because its dual core, but 3800 still owns simply because its 90nm and AMD owns game cpus.

Comment

oh ok just outta curiosity is a AMD 3500+ Venice Core Socket 939 anygood?

Comment

my clan mate has a amd 4200+ dual core he loves it, he has a killer set up though

AMD 4200+ Dual Core
                            4GB RAM
                            2x 7800GTX SLI

Comment

Working...
                            X