Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander

With only limited experience with BF1942 previously, I picked up BF2 a few weeks ago for my son and really enjoy the enhanced tactical gameplay.

While I like the concept of the Commander, I think gameplay would have been better if the SCAN ability had not been included in his arsenal. This would have placed more importance on timely local scans, or better yet (with regards to teamplay) folks spotting enemy vehicles/positions for their Commander.

Is the SCAN ability realistic for modern warfare? Of course. If nothing else I would hope a good WW2 mod will eliminate this feature.

And yes I like sneaking into the enemy Commander's base to blow things up, and hopefully kill the Commander. Darn scan makes spotting me, especially when I need to stay still to avoid detection, nearly impossible if the opposing Commander's on his game.

Regards

Re: Commander

I have my issues with scan as well. Even if they dropped the length of time that units showed up, that would be ok.

Its bad enough that you can just right click anywhere and select spotted, if anything is around it gets spotted. No need to acurately spot anything.

Comment

The scan does certainly make it hard on people that are trying to hide (like squad leaders/snipers), but at the same time, taking it away could have a major impact...

One thing I always thought was weird was even with your satellite trailer down (for scan), you could still zoom over the map and report people running around anyway...Am I wrong for thinking that the feed for that would come in off the satellite ?

Comment

Great point Kronos. Must admit I assumed this didn't work when the trailer was damaged.

Comment

I'm really in two minds about this one. you make great points but the thing is your commander can fo the same thing, so you are getting the same advantage. Whick i believe evens it out

Comment

Originally posted by A$$a$$ination
            I'm really in two minds about this one. you make great points but the thing is your commander can fo the same thing, so you are getting the same advantage. Whick i believe evens it out
            Not the point - point is neither should have.

I agree with the idea of radar trailer being down - commander should not be able to zoom in to low level view.

Comment

Well I think that because "Team Work" isn’t always there in public servers that this evens that aspect out. It really doesn’t make that big of a difference, plus dont forget this game is set in the near future.

Without the scan feature the Commander would have to rely solely on his squad leaders to request artillery and UAVs, which as we know hardly happens. Scanning allows him to place a UAV in a general location that seems to have enemy activity. Usually in a chaotic battle you really don’t have time to look everywhere you just check for the dense spots throw up a UAV or zoom in and spot, figure out which way the pack is going and drop arty.

Why I see your point as it being a pain in the ass I feel it is also a necessary item, I mean without it less people would play commander since they would have to guess where to put UAVs and Arty and after 15 minutes of missing all the time most people would give up.

Just my 2 cents on the subject

Comment

Originally posted by BeerStein
                Not the point - point is neither should have.

I agree with the idea of radar trailer being down - commander should not be able to zoom in to low level view.
                Yeah but i'm all for the commander having alot of power. let's face it that a commander should have a strong influence on the game, and does at the moment if played correctly.

When you do zoom in then you are focused on a very small portion of the map, so you are neglecting the rest of the players. The UAV is a big help and when that is down well that should directly result in less kills to your team. This i feel is a strong enough influence on the game without being overpowering. if the com's assetts are down, even just one of them, it does make it much more harder.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerStein
                  Its bad enough that you can just right click anywhere and select spotted, if anything is around it gets spotted. No need to acurately spot anything.
                  Not always true, when there is a lot of hostiles in one location you must click near each one otherwise you just keep repeating the same one over and over. But yeah you generally just have to be close.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDonkey
                    Well I think that because "Team Work" isn’t always there in public servers that this evens that aspect out. It really doesn’t make that big of a difference, plus dont forget this game is set in the near future.

Without the scan feature the Commander would have to rely solely on his squad leaders to request artillery and UAVs, which as we know hardly happens. Scanning allows him to place a UAV in a general location that seems to have enemy activity. Usually in a chaotic battle you really don’t have time to look everywhere you just check for the dense spots throw up a UAV or zoom in and spot, figure out which way the pack is going and drop arty.

Why I see your point as it being a pain in the ass I feel it is also a necessary item, I mean without it less people would play commander since they would have to guess where to put UAVs and Arty and after 15 minutes of missing all the time most people would give up.

Just my 2 cents on the subject
                    I agree, without scan, UAV and artillery would be too frustrating or uninteresting. Having to rely on squad leaders might be a nice idea, but in reality it would just make the commander position very frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                    X