Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just lost my M95 after trying to mod it....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just lost my M95 after trying to mod it....

Before anyone asks, yes, I did search. It's a difficult question to search for since it can be titled/written in so many different ways.

I play LAN games with friends and I wanted to make the M95 more realistic with one shot kills. But after following some directions in a thread and thinking I knew what I was doing, it now doesn't appear on the weapon select screen.

I went into my objects_server.zip, found the ussni_m95_barret.tweak and changed the ObjectTemplate.damage to a higher number using notepad and saved. I then went into the game only to find the M95 still acted like normal (one shot kills only for headshots, two shots for body). I then went back into the original objects_server.zip and noticed there was two seperate ussni_m95_barret.tweak files. So I opened each with notepad and found that one was the modified one and the other was a duplicate with the original settings (which I thought was strange because I saved the modified one). So I dragged the original copy of ussni_m95_barret.tweak (with the original settings) onto my desktop in order to remove it from my zip folder so to only leave the one modified version there. Now here is the strange thing. The dragged ussni_m95_barret.tweak file now became a bunch of folders on my desktop.....it's now a folder titled Weapons and contains handheld>USSNI_M95_Barret>ussni_m95_barret.tweak

I've modded files in the past (where you just open a file with notepad, changed a few digits, saved, and were done) but this is really confusing me.

Now when I try to use the M95, it's not showing up in the weapon select screen (it's just blank when I try to select it).

Any ideas? Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

Re: I just lost my M95 after trying to mod it....

there was two seperate ussni_m95_barret.tweak files.
    how can you have 2 files with same name in the same directory, thats not possible ?

Comment

Yeah, I know you can't have two regular files in a normal folder but this is zip folder....not sure if that's different.

Do I need to extract all of the files into a normal windows folder, modifly the file, and then use winzip to pack them all up again? Or do I just modify them while they're in the zip folder?

Comment

Okay, I found the problem.

When I was editing in winzip, I had my window condensed and didn't see the "file path" section on the far right.

When I look in my winzip Objects_server.zip, I see no path extension for the new/modified ussni_m95_barret.tweak
        The section on the right was blank.
        Thats how I had two duplicates....the other (original) ussni_m95_barret.tweak had the correct extension, the weapons\handheld\ussni_m95_barret.tweak

But I deleted the original one....so what I do? All I need to do is edit the path of the new ussni_m95_barret.tweak file so it has the same path as the original. I can't figure how to do that in winzip. Any ideas?

Here is a screen capture of my winzip archive to give you an example. Copy and paste the link in your web browser (I tried uploading it using the paperclip icon and it kept giving me an error....I can't seem to do anything right today. haha)
        Get the best of SEO, content writing, and content marketing services from industry experts. With our proven strategy and years experience target the right kind of keywords and audience.

Comment

You need to create that folder structure with the .tweak file in it (or use the one you mentioned that you extracted to your desktop) and drag THAT into the zip file. As an alternative, you can edit the .tweak file in-place instead of extracting and re-adding it.

Comment

Okay, I instead transfered a new Objects_server.zip from my younger brother's computer and copied it to my folder, everything now works again (I can play the Barret again).

So how exactly do I modify the damage on the M95?

Here is what I've been doing...
            -Open up the Objects_server.zip using winzip
            -Right click on the "ussni_M95_barret.tweak" file and choose "edit"
            -Change the ObjectTemplate.damage number.
            -Save the change
            -Exit out of the file

But then it asks, "File C:\Documents and Settings\[Computer name]\Local Settings\Temp\ussni_M95_barret.tweak has been changed since it was extracted. Update archive with this file?"

If I click yes, it adds the modified file (with the correct damage setting) in the Objects_server.zip folder but doesn't list the correct file path on the far right....it just adds a new one and the file path section is blank. The original ussni_M95_barret.tweak is also there with the correct file path (Weapons\Handheld\USSNI_M95_Barret\) but it still has the original damage number when I open it.

Comment

Nevermind...I finally figured it out. I just never figured it would make you jump through so many hoops when editing a simple file. It works perfect now.

Comment

extract the file you want to an empty folder. For example make a new folder on the desktop called "New Folder". Extract the file (include the folder path in the extraction by clicking "Use Folder Names" in the extract window).

edit the file on the desktop (you may need to edit the properties to remove the read only setting). save the file in the folder on the desktop (path will be something like - C:\Documents and Settings\Myname\Desktop\New Folder\Weapons\Handheld\USSNI_M95_Barret\ )

click add in winzip and go into the New folder (in the add files, you will see the folder Weapons) click "Add with wildcards" and this will include all the folder info.

EDIT: I see you worked it out while I was writing this : I'll leave this post in case ppl want to know the answer....

Comment

This might seem obvious but just make sure you back up all the files you are editing somewhere else incase you screw something up. BTW, if you unzip an entire archive and rezip it with all original data will that mess up the CRC check and make you unable to connect to a server?

Comment

Sounds like maybe your WinZip is configured so that it doesn't save pathnames or something. I know dragging it into the folder will put it at the root but editing in-place should let it keep the same path. You could try creating the folder path as I mentioned before and drag the folder into the zip. Or just unzip the whole objects_server, modify the file, and re-zip the whole thing. If it's a WinZip setting those may not work right either.

Comment

So did it actually work in the end? I'm trying to do the same thing with the M21 (or 24) sniper and the M249SAW - editing accuracy and damage.. Does it work? and does it affect your ability to go online?

Comment

Originally posted by hawk_eye477
                        I'm trying to do the same thing with the M21 (or 24) sniper and the M249SAW - editing accuracy and damage.. Does it work? and does it affect your ability to go online?
                        It will probably stop you from playing online (even though I don't think the file is actually used by the client). I suggest making a backup of the original .zip file. You could also set it up as a separate mod so it doesn't affect your original files.

Comment

Is it easy to just make a small mod with only a couple of weapon tweaks and vehicle tweaks?

Comment

Working...
                          X