Gaming Problem????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming Problem????

I’m having a major problem that has been bugging me for a while. I built my system about a year ago and up until 5 months ago I’ve been pretty good about keeping things up to date. Here are my specs:

Athlon 64 3400+ "Clawhammer"
    XP-90 w/Vantec Tornado
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    520w OCZ
    eVGA 6800GT
    512x2 Corsair Value Select
    160 Samsung SATA
    DVD+/- RW
    DVD-Rom

Here’s the problem. I’ve been playing WOW since around Christmas 04 and pretty much have not strayed from playing it. I recently got Battlefield 2. Install the game but did not update my drivers for the 6800 (currently was using the 66.93 version), I had’nt had any problems with the older ones and I like to not fix something that’s not broken. Battlefield 2 would work fine though but every time I went to play it, it would tell me that my drivers were out of date yet the game would run fine. Well the other day I went to play Battlefield 2 and when I double clicked on the icon the splash screen hit and then it just went back to the desktop. So I thought that finally things had caught up to me and that I needed to update my video driver, so I went and downloaded the latest from eVGA (77.77 version). Well Battlefield 2 still would not start up, same thing happened. Then I tried WOW with the new drivers…..well now I was getting intermintent freezing every 20 seconds or so….so the game was basically unplayable. I scrambled to find the old 66.93 driver, reloaded it, and WOW worked fine again but Battlefield 2 still did not work.

So then I thought I should update my BIOS….did that, nothing……same problem. I un-installed Battlefield 2 and reloaded…..problem continued. I’ve also used Ad-aware, Spybot, checked for viruses…everything is cleaned and the problem is still there. So now I’m stuck with this old driver so that I can at least play WOW, but I still can not get Battlefield to work. I really do not want to format but I’m thinking I might have to eventually just because I like to do once a year anyway. Anyone have any suggestions??? I don’t know where to look now…any suggestions would be great….thanks.

EDIT: I also just got a Viewsonic VX924 monitor if that would make a difference or not? I had just wanted to see what Battlefield 2 would look like on it, but have yet to get it to work...so i don't know if this problem had started before then or not.

Re: Gaming Problem????

Have you got any refresh lockers running? if you have turn them off.

EDIT: Dont format yet either! lots of people ive read have had same problems, there is always a solution and often its pretty simple!

Comment

You can always try re-installing BF2, see if that does the trick.

Comment

haha..what is a refresh lock?...how would i turn it off..sorry for the noob question.

also i did un-install and re-install...did'nt help. thanks for the help so far.

Comment

A refresh lock is done by a small program (Re-Force for example) that forces the monitor to keep the display at a certain refresh rate (75Hz for example) some games do not like this apparently.

Comment

Working...
          X