Windows wont support 4gigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows wont support 4gigs?

Is it true that windows xp pro wont support 4 gigs of memory? I ask because I will be building a new computer soon and i wanted to load up on the memory but i read that you need xp 64 to support 4 gigs of memory.

Is anyone running xp64 and can tell me about their experiences with it?

thanks a lot

Re: Windows wont support 4gigs?

xp will support up to 4 gigs, but to make it use all 4 gigs you have to do a little registry work. Google it or search the Microsoft knowledgebase at http://support.microsoft.com Personally, I think anything over 2 is a waste. I run BF2 with ventrilo, a virus scanner, winamp playing mp3's, xfire, and yahoo IM all at the same time, with dual monitors, and the most I have ever used of my 2Gb is about 70%.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbay82
      Is it true that windows xp pro wont support 4 gigs of memory? I ask because I will be building a new computer soon and i wanted to load up on the memory but i read that you need xp 64 to support 4 gigs of memory.

Is anyone running xp64 and can tell me about their experiences with it?

thanks a lot
      Windows XP supports 4 GB, however motherboards often reserve memory in 3.5-4 GB range for resources, so only 3.5 is available.

Comment

4 gigs is overkill...don't waste your money on that. put it towards a bigger drive, a better vid card or processor.

Comment

Originally posted by slosh
          4 gigs is overkill...don't waste your money on that. put it towards a bigger drive, a better vid card or processor.
          I wouldnt jump to conclusions, i do a lot of work in MS word so i need the performance

Comment

how about a dual core processor instead?

Comment

hold off on the 4 gigs.you really dont need it.i got 4 gigs while playing any games i rarly use over 1.2. and window only sees 3 of the 4 anyway. im running xp pro.put the money to better use. better vidio card , sound card or bigger monitor

Comment

Working...
              X