Pilot vs. Gunner View Defined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot vs. Gunner View Defined

There has been much debate about what the heli gunner sees vs. what the pilot actually sees. I decided to check this on both types of attack choppers.

I decided to find out for myself and take some screenshots. I then went into Photoshop and shrunk the gunner's view (keeping in proportion) - to match the view of the pilot. I then gave it a 50% opacity so that it is relatively see through - so that both screen reticules can be seen at the same time.

I think you will find it was effective.

The first set I forgot to turn off the hud and mini map.

(not sure why some pics show as different size in the post - they are all the same)
    US Chopper

Re: Pilot vs. Gunner View Defined

US Chopper Set #2

Comment

China Chopper

Comment

Excellent Post! Thanks a lot.

Comment

nice that really helped alot

Comment

Thanks a lot Beerstein!!

Comment

Glad to have helped. Personally I thought I knew what the view was before I started doing the overlays. A real eye opener to have it well defined now.

Comment

I always thought the little rectangle at the bottom of the hud that said "gunners view" was what he was looking at so i lined it up so that was straight on with a tank or whatever. Looking at these pics thats not the case at all. So my question, what is that recangle box for at the bottom of the hud?

Comment

Originally posted by bigbay82
                  I always thought the little rectangle at the bottom of the hud that said "gunners view" was what he was looking at so i lined it up so that was straight on with a tank or whatever. Looking at these pics thats not the case at all. So my question, what is that recangle box for at the bottom of the hud?
                  It's for which direction the gun is pointing in, when the gunner turns his gun you see the little square inside the rectangle move left or right. I used to think that it was the gunner view thingy too.

Comment

That shows you which direction the gunner's gun is facing. Only indicates left/right not up/down.

Helps me as a pilot know which way my gunner is firing so I can give him a better shot if he sees something off to a side. Comes in to play the most when gunner is not on voice.

Comment

Great post but now I am emabarrassed. I always thought I was a pretty good pilot, lining my gunner up for the tv guided missles...I was wrong. I too thought "Gunner's View" meant what the gunner saw when in TV guided mode. They should have called Gunner Machine gun View instead.

Edit: I think this should be a sticky under the tactics section too, it would help a lot of people out.

Comment

then again last time i checked the tv missile pods were lined up with the rocket pods, i just learned to aim the heli in the same direction and let the gunne find the target. so much easier to do it over teamspeak though

thanks again

Comment

Great stuff, so even though they are slightly different on each team, aim slightly above the target if you are the pilot, and your gunner will be able to launch an effectively aimed missile.

Cheers beer.

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

I try to only fly with someone on TS, but for those times when I'm not, this is a huge help, great post & PS work...

Is nice to see the size of the boxes in relation to the pilots overall view, now I know how much of my view he's seeing....

NOTE: To all pilots --- take note that he's basically hovering. The view is from an ideal position, and as all pilots know, u don't fly while level, generally you are tilted forward for speed.... So while your eyesight may be on a target, if the helo is tilted foward (and the hud facing down) then your gunner will have a nice TV view of the dirt. Keep the hud up in order for him to do his job..

Comment

Working...
                              X