Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 Optimization Guide@firingsquad

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/ba...ization_guide/

some useful information in this article, mainly how in-game settings work.

Re: BF2 Optimization Guide@firingsquad

sry this article didn't really grip me, i'm ungrip-ped.

Comment

Thanks, interesting read

Comment

this is like....for n00bs or somethin.....tweak guides BF2 thing is way better....mhm...

Comment

The best optimization towards improving BF2 performance, IMO, was the tweaks I did to Windows XP using this tutorial as a base;
          Tweaktown: WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax

Benchmark your computer before you make these changes and all other optimizations, then benchmark after. Everything improved on the benchmark test.

Comment

Originally posted by ent|ty
            The best optimization towards improving BF2 performance, IMO, was the tweaks I did to Windows XP using this tutorial as a base;
            Tweaktown: WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax

Benchmark your computer before you make these changes and all other optimizations, then benchmark after. Everything improved on the benchmark test.
            Except that the guide makes use of the registry tweaks that have no effect in XP whatsoever, most guides say these improve performance when they don't. e.g. EnablePrefetcher Tweak, L2 Cache Tweak, IO Page Lock Limit Tweak, IRQ Priority Tweak, LargeSystemCache Tweak and so on.

Often what happens is ppl want a PC to be faster and start believing that these tweaks actaully work in XP, and the placebo effect takes over, ppl want to believe.

Take a look here in the XP myths section of this other guide:
            http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html called Optimize XP, it explains it and has sources to back it up too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny Highway
              Except that the guide makes use of the registry tweaks that have no effect in XP whatsoever, most guides say these improve performance when they don't. e.g. EnablePrefetcher Tweak, L2 Cache Tweak, IO Page Lock Limit Tweak, IRQ Priority Tweak, LargeSystemCache Tweak and so on.
              Yes I realize that. I'm lucky that I'm not a newb at this kind of stuff. But I also Google everything to find out what it is anyway. The tutorial was a good start, and as I said did improve the benchmark

Comment

Originally posted by ent|ty
                Yes I realize that. I'm lucky that I'm not a newb at this kind of stuff. But I also Google everything to find out what it is anyway. The tutorial was a good start, and as I said did improve the benchmark
                The rest of the guide might be okay, I just noticed it because most guides tend to list them.
                Someone who is new to tweaking Windows, wouldn't know the facts about these reg tweaks and would waste time using these, I know I did when I tried them some time ago

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny Highway
                  Take a look here in the XP myths section of this other guide:
                  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html called Optimize XP, it explains it and has sources to back it up too.
                  He debunks some myths, but perpetuates some of his own... like the setting of your page file to 1.5x your system memory.

Comment

Originally posted by DLWebmaestro96
                    He debunks some myths, but perpetuates some of his own... like the setting of your page file to 1.5x your system memory.
                    He starts out explaining the default setting in XP which is 1.5xRAM initail and 3xRAM as max(depens on amount of RAM I think ), and briefly explains how the dynamic page file works.

There are a lot of ways to configure where to place the page file and sizes etc, but page file is seldom an issue in games and have no effect on performance, unless a game requires a lot of RAM as BF2 does.
                    If a system uses page file a lot, then the there won't be a solution other than getting more RAM, you can make it access it faster by selecting where to place it etc, but the best solution is to have more than enough RAM.

Comment

Working...
                    X