Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever been a Commander? From Commander to total Team Work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever been a Commander? From Commander to total Team Work.

Last night, for the first time, I applied for the Commander post out of curiorsity. Had it been a busy and crowed server, I would not have had the chance to get the job.

From a gamer point of view, the Commander is an ingenious invention. Maybe many of you have already experienced the various tasks of a commander, so bear with me to repeat it here; just for those who haven't discovered this feature yet.

As a Battlefield Commander, you basically have access to crucial electronic information in the field in real-time. Perhaps, the game designers has spelled out a kind of futuristic soldier gears. The Battlefield Commander can issue a "Scan" ccommand, and the electronic display, like simulating a satelite transmission; relay information about friendly and foes positions, be they a slow moving soldier, a faster armour vehicle, a boat or the most threatening fighter/attack jets. As a Commander, you will bear the responsibility to conduct immensive firepower cover over enemy points for your men.

The "Artillery" command, if used properly not only help to make kills for yourself, but probably sweep clear the road for your men to move into positions. How do you tell them to move into positions, we will come to that later. As far as this command goes, you can strike at pinpoint accuracy, at your designated battle zone around 6 heavy shots; and when I say heavy shots, it actually blows you right out of the sky!! But this command, should better be used with conjunction with another command "UAV" which is not a stranger to you all. You have probably heard it every now and then a sexy vice updating you on the UAV activities.

The "UAV" command must be intelligently issued. It could mislead your men if you click on the wrong spot. For me, I prefer to do a "UAV" command prior to an "Artillery" command. This way, my men will first be alerted about where the hot zone is. The hot zone will then be smashed hopefully clear all the tanks, "would-be taking off" choppers and enemy units on foot by the artillery fire prior to their moving in. BF2 given the definition as a modern warfare simulation has been given the damn good excuse to re-work the artillery / scout feature exhibited in BF1942 with a better and effective interface.

"Supplies" is a command I yearn to have an accompanying command amid to UAV. Of course I can do a SCAN but both SCAN and UAV might not be available awaiting for the next cycle. I don't know if the supplies are ammo, if yes, they are very useful.

One of the great commands which are available to the Commander is directing squads. This is very important to any offensive mission. Of course one would change the mission's objective from offensive to defensive when situation requires.

The various squad commands which would be issued to all squads are useful in the sense that they would be carried out and executed by the squads effectively. But how many are willingly to listen to these commands and execute them? This would be a dilemna which would trouble the BF2 community in the days, weeks and months even years to come long after this thread has been read.

The interface or shall I say, facility that the game designer has given to us as a commander, is a piece of genius invention.

I was on a 58 players server last night, there were only 2 squads! That means I could look after only 2 squads and was dependent on them to execute my orders in order to protect our flags and capture others. I was actually shocked by the number of squads which were out there. Followed by disappointment. Then a bit anger. Imagine, if there were say, 6 squads, we would have captured and assault enemy at full-scale. I mean, would you give me 1 small squad maybe a team of 2 is more than enough to infiltrate their radar and UAV command centre to blow them up. So they all fight in blind. Just to name a few strategy.

I am sure, if the command can give visuals to the squads, they can move in without worries. They can at least estimate how many adversaries are there and get themselves prepared. So for those lone wolves out there, do consider joining a team. You have rewards more than just be a lone wolve when your sqaud makes kills. Perhaps many have had gone through this preaching over and over again. But well, it's okay you are not listening to your commander, but can you give yourself a good excuse why you are not accruing more points than you would have been a lonewolf? It's all up to you, but do think about your side's final score. The Commander is there, whether you join or not, it's all up to you. It's your call!

Re: Have you ever been a Commander? From Commander to total Team Work.

wow...

Comment

wow........

Comment

welcome to BF2....

Comment

what i allways ask myself is: if there are 6 full squads, -in theory- every squad could be assigned to one flag on the map. 6 people defending a flag is a pain in the butt for the enemy to cap the flag, but i guess public games arent that organised or peeps dont want to get organised in pubs...

Comment

I usaully dont apply mainly because theres quite a bit riding on your shoulders and most people dont use the commander to his full potentail, also i'm better at taking orders, i'm usaully sqaud leader or just in a sqaud

Comment

"There are certain things in war of which the commander alone comprehends the importance. Nothing but his superior firmness and ability can subdue and surmount all difficulties."

I apply for commander at the start of every round if I get accepted I'll usually take it unless it's a map I really want to play.

Comment

I dont agree with your idea on launching UAV before you put Arty down on the hotzone. It will most likely give you tons of TK for two reasons.

1. People tend to miss the arty red rings, when there is a UAV on top of it.
                2. People tend to run towards the hotzone and hence right into your arty.

A scan is a must before the arty though, and remember to zoom down x4 before putting the arty to check if they´re inside building, cuz if so its more or less a waste of an arty strike.

And yes Supply crates are ammunition, repair and health in-a-box. You have probably seen them around?

Regarding squads, I couldn´t agree more. There is way too many lonewolfs and know-better squads who doesn´t follow your commands. The lonewolfs obviously doesnt get any commands and the squads dont follow them. Well maybe the squadleader does, but then his squad is scattered all over the map. A terrible shame cuz the game is so much more fun with a good teamwork. I allways try to either be squadleader and lead my squad as the commander commands or be memeber and follow the squadleader. Of course I dont follow clueless commands sometimes given.

But for sure, the command-feature is awesome if used correct and followed correct.

Comment

Felt I had to post on this one was on karkarand last night as commander on 64 player map but only had 4 squads 1 full and the other 3 with with 2 or 3 in em. However it did actually work out quite well for us as i directed the squads to take all the flags across the river whilst the lonewolves distracted trying to take the first flag after US base. So we had em on 2 fronts. I then commanded defence of the 2 ways across the river and shock the squads that i ordered actually done what i wanted. After that it was just a case of sending in major artillery and mopping up the remains. I have to say it was the most enjoyable experience of being a commander i have had.

One point i would add is as a commander if you do a scan and your UAV is not available you can still zoom in and spot it can really help to catch a rogue squad trying to take back a flag.

Comment

In reply to you about TK by colateral damage, I actually get punished for that. Currently, I am banned from the following server:

JP BF2 Beginner Server 1.02, IP = 165.76.67.10.

I am quite upset about this. And also, slightly off-topic, I have experienced a "reverse color-coded" player's ID. It led me to believe that the chap was my enemy so I shot him. At the end, I was told by the system that I had committed TK. This was in another ocassion.

Indeed, the more I play the Commander, the more I said to myself 'This is what it should be like a year ago'. Now it's too late, because most gamers are accustomed to the 1942's way. Lonewolves or Rambo still form a big population in most servers. Would it be a matter of education, which takes some time for the community to get used to new things? I have a feeling that some of the lonewolves are just not awared of this great feature the game offers. And joining a squad doesn't seem to be a way they used to play a First Person Shooter? I am sure, if they know that "bonus" scores are added to everyone in a squad, they might change their minds and their ways of playing the game.

Now after more than 6 hours being a Commander, I have found some inadequacies. I need additional commands. For instance, in many ocassions, I strongly feel the need to cry out loud "Artillery in 30 seconds, friendly units evacuate!". This command must be markable on the map naturally. Another one is the information about squad, more details are required. It is currently no way for a Commander to tell which squad member is on-foot, in the air or at sea riding a boat. With such additional information, I can direct a Strike/Fighter to hit a target for example. All the existing commands are perfectly devised. Again, if only everyone would like to join a squad.

As a sqaud member, you enjoy additional benefits. God knows when this message will get across to every one in the community. I wish, EA, with her up-coming expansion pack, Special Force would encourage players to the idea of real team work.

Comment

Working...
                    X