2 Levels of water, how do you do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Levels of water, how do you do it?

I am making a map with a dam in it and I want to have water on top right before the dam and then water on the bottom of the dam. I know that you have to raise the water level in the water settings field but how do I add water to the top part without filling the entire board?

Re: 2 Levels of water, how do you do it?

Originally posted by viathan
    I am making a map with a damn in it and I want to have water on top right before the damn and then water on the bottom of the damn. I know that you have to raise the water level in the water settings field but how do I add water to the top part without filling the entire board?
    I was just thinking too how to do this, but can only set the water level for the ENTIRE map.

I wonder if the engine can handle it?

I had a dream about a map where the Chinese had to defend a dam from the USMC. There were 5 spots on the dam that had to be C4'ed and if they were the dam would burst and the Chinese would loose the round.

Comment

The lower water would be your general water level. The higher water would be a waterplane, I havent tried this yet so I don't know how to do it. Some official maps have them, swimming pools and stuff. There is already some existing waterplanes in the editor you can use.

Comment

so I have to use a ton of smaller ones? I have a river running through a 1024X1024 map and the dam is right in the middle of it. The lower level water is at the very bottom and the higher water is at the top (of course) so that would be allot of pools to put in to fill up that entire upper half of the river... :O I understand what you are saying but I wonder if there is another way to just make a second water level in a specified area...

Comment

No, i meant the lower water (being the water after the dam) and the higher water being the water before the dam. Height differencial.

Theres no way you can make 2 water levels, you need a water plane. There's already some quite large ones you can use.

Comment

Ah, sorry I missunderstood. I was playing around with them yesterday. Is there a way to change the shape and size of them that you know of? Or a way to make my own? They are acctually too small...unless I put a few next to each other...

Comment

I think I have it, I use a bunch of the square ones. I will see if that works well.

Comment

That was exactly what Crimson was trying to discribe to you.

Comment

Hey everyone, I just noticed that when I am in my map and I jump into the water above the damn I fall until I hit the bottom of the map where the other water is. How do I make it so I can swim in the upper and swim in the lower?

Comment

Originally posted by Harmor
                    I was just thinking too how to do this, but can only set the water level for the ENTIRE map.

I wonder if the engine can handle it?

I had a dream about a map where the Chinese had to defend a dam from the USMC. There were 5 spots on the dam that had to be C4'ed and if they were the dam would burst and the Chinese would loose the round.
                    not only would the reqire making a map but you would have to code in python the whole C4 dystroying the dam thing.

Comment

I'm using the really large water planes behind the dam in my map. I struggled witht his a little until I found the trick to making them all the exact height. But it works really well. I haven't had the problem you described about falling through the water to the bottom of the map though. Sounds unusual.

Comment

I used the square water plain as described in one of the threads above and then just copied that to fill in the rest of the upper water level. While in the editor and I go to Soldier view I can run into the water and I just fall as if there wasn’t anything there until I hit the bottom of the map. Do you think it’s just the editor...maybe when I finish the map and play the real game it will work?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Comment

I wouldn't even mess with the soldier view in the editor. It's buggy and could cause a crash and you'd lose everything you've done since the last save. Test it in the game, it should be fine.

Comment

this is what i would try , i dont know that it would work, but it seems like it would, NEVER TRIED TO MAKE A MAP but do you remember sim city how you could make your own maps, where you had your water then if you want to make lake in the mountains you to raise the ground around it up till you got what you needed for that water in in the mountains type deal i recommend, like i said i have never tried before but maybe plane your water for the whole map then raise your ground up little to include the area for the damn at a time to make your dame once the water lever is up with your damn then put the dam in . does that make since if this does not work sorry just a suggestion and a thought?? Or Maybe raise your ground up first imput water on top of the ground once its raised then, put water on then put another water field on the bottom does that make since. If not sorry i tried

Comment

Working...
                            X