Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 Recorder rendering problem

Hello,

I've posted this in General too, and I"ve read all the threads about how to create and render a demo...

I've started playing with the BF2 Recorder (full version latest patch), on a Lan game that I create to just get the hang of it. I can create the demo, I can then go in and create my camera movement (demo.cmd +c). However, the problem comes into play when I go to render the AVI file. No matter what codec I select, I get an unplayable file of usually 300+ - 4gig in size. When I try to play it, I get a "This AVI is corrupt or missing codec" error message.

I sent the demo and the camera file to a friend, and he said he can render it fine.

I've read every message, all 14+ pages of the threads to see if anyone is having this problem, and it appeared that the problem had to do with switching out of BF2 while the file was rendered. This is not my case here, I leave the machine, or spend 20 minutes or so watching my short footage render, until BF2 quits out and I get a DONE message in the command box.

any help on what could be going wrong?

Re: BF2 Recorder rendering problem

More info on this... Now it appears that the ONLY video that will complete the render process, but still give me an unwatchable video, is the uncompressed option.

I downloaed GSPOT and it reports that the header is corrupt.

Anyone have any ideas?

This is a fresh install of Windows XP SP2 (last week), and a clean install of BF2 and patches last week.

The only video player I installed was Zoom Player, with the following optional files:
    DirectVobSub
    xVid
    DivX

Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

I suggest you use Windows Media 9 for rendering with Battlefield 2, works for most of us.

Also, I would personally recommend that you use BattleLauncher (http://www.battlelauncher.com) for working with your demo/camera files. *Shameless advertising*

Comment

You get this problem when you press esc while rendering not saying its the problem you have!. Try a test, Tell it to render demo +r filename filename render a couple of seconds then press R to stop render. Then see if it plays the avi back.
        Media player 10 works fine with me.

Comment

Thanx. I will try that. However, I can render the video using the default mode of 800x600, and it works if I change the default to 1024x768, but it doesn't work when I change it to 1280x1024. BTW, I am making this default mode change within the demo.cmd file.

I can play BF2 in 1280x1024, and I record the camera in 1280x1024, it just won't render the video at 1280x1024.

I will try the "pressing the R to stop the rendering" trick tonite. Thanx.

Comment

Originally posted by Senap
            I suggest you use Windows Media 9 for rendering with Battlefield 2, works for most of us.
            What option is Windows Media 9? I don't see the specific "Windows Media 9" as a codec/rendering option.

Comment

where can i find more information on rendering? Are you able to take specific parts and add them together and make a video out of it?

I know there are other threads on here, but i remember some of them and they weren't very good or detailed.

Comment

Im rendering at 800x600 works fine haven't tried anything higher maybe a bug in the recorder ?. But if your uploading films your going to be rendering them at 640x480 or 720x480 to keep the fiile size down and divX compress's the crap out of them, so maybe no point going higher that 800 x 600 ?
                check http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26328

Comment

Originally posted by Draven
                  What option is Windows Media 9? I don't see the specific "Windows Media 9" as a codec/rendering option.
                  Well it won't show up unless you have it installed of course..
                  Take a look here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.aspx

Originally posted by BigBadBob
                  where can i find more information on rendering? Are you able to take specific parts and add them together and make a video out of it?

I know there are other threads on here, but i remember some of them and they weren't very good or detailed.
                  well the recipe for rendering is having a bf2demo file and a bf2cam file, you end up with an AVI file - which is the result of these two files. I have no idea how to explain but the bf2demo file is basically the actual gameplay (battlerecorder) and the bf2cam file is then the camera movements that you record afterwards.

So to make a video with different shots you'd need to render one giant bf2demo file or several smaller bf2demo files and then put them together in your video editor.

Comment

Thanx for the info. I think I got the recording camera movements down. Now the question is, can I change the default camera keyboard confirguation away from WASD?

/Draven

Comment

I don't think so. But people say that using a joystick works really well, you could try that if you have one

Comment

That was my next try... I will try that...Thanx

Comment

Havent tried a joystick ..... have to

Comment

I tried a joystick... Camera doesn't move. Is there a trick?

God I would love it if we could remap the keys for the camera... Hint...hint... Dice...

Comment

Well fornicate me sideways with a hammer! Now I can't render ANY movie at 800x600, get the corrupt message. sonbizitch!

I also tried installing WM9, and I didn't have that option, as well as remapping my keys to the joystick, and still couldn't get that to work.

Am I a moron, or is this stuff kind cool, but yet confusing?

Any help...again?

/Draven

Comment

Working...
                              X