joystick owners, please read!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joystick owners, please read!

here's my question - i've never owned a joystick before and have never used one for flying. so let's say i do get one, how am i going to adjust these settings: steer left/right, pitch and roll? will there be any conflicts in the in-game control settings (axis-wise)? i mean, for example, i can set my acceleration and deceleration to 'joy axis 1'. steer left/right on 'joy axis 2'. but what about pictch and roll? i'm out of axis now! there isn't an axis 3 and axis 4 on any joystick, right? maybe that's why some joysticks have "rudder" control? i ***DON'T*** want to program any buttons on the joystick because i want ALL my movements to happen using the STICK itself and not button 1 for pitch, button 2 for roll, etc.

what i mean is can i program the controls so that when i pull up on the stick, it decelerates AND pitches up also? and when i push it forward it accelerates AND pitches down?

i know, i'm bad at explaining. could you guys post screenies of your joystick setup?

thanks.

Re: joystick owners, please read!

I was in exactly the same position as you. I had been using an Xbox controller for my flying in BF2 but felt i was missing out on something not having a joystick.

So i read up on wht people use and for value and from wht people have said they either use the logitech xtreme 3d pro, a wingman or a Saitek cyborg Evo.

I chose to go for the EVO, now bear in mind i havnt used a joystick since the days of C64's, the thing feels so alien to me. i can fly so much better and smoother using the previous Xbox controller.

However im guessing its just a matter of perservering with the joystick and then ill reap the benefits eventually.

I read into wht people have thier joys setup with and ive got my setup as shown in the attached pic. Now im pretty sure that is how most people have. Obiosly this will mean nothing unless u have the same joystick i think.

Basically i have pitch as forward and backward. Roll as push right/left and steer as twist left/right

I hope this helps heres some useful links to firstly my joystick the Saitek Cyborg Evo

And secondly a ver comprehensive flying guide found here

Comment

hey Inco, thanks for the reply.

but i'm going to use a joystick for flying CHOPPERS! can you post a screenie of your chopper settings instead?

i'm also going to get the cyborg evo. but not the wireless one. it's just that my fingers will really hurt after a long time of flying those attack choppers!

Comment

I have the excact same settings for choppers as aircraft. Works fantastic, i can keep it as still as a parked car.

Comment

Originally posted by j4k3
          hey Inco, thanks for the reply.

but i'm going to use a joystick for flying CHOPPERS! can you post a screenie of your chopper settings instead?
          ive not really looked at flying choppers with my joystick, im so stuck on trying to get the feel for flying jets.

Comment

With a stick you will have a seperate throttle control.
            It's usually located to the left or rear of the stick.
            In my opinion using a seperate throttle as opposed to combined pitch foward accelerate,pitch back decelerate would be a lot better.
            The way you describe it sounds impossible to hover.
            Like stated before if the stick is TWIST type that will be your rudder or if not you can use two buttons located on top of the stick .There should be plenty for triggers aswell.

Personally I have the WingMan RumblePad from Logitech which has a slider throttle for the left index finger and rudder is R1 R2 like the PS controllers.
            I don't know if they even make these things anymore.

Comment

My Logitech Extreme 3D Pro comes with a throttle control but I use the buttons for gas & break as I am used to it.

Comment

joy axis 1 is the accelerator "switch" on the joystick, axis 2 is the rudders(joystick can turn left and right without leaning), axis 3 is roll left/right(leans left and right), axis 4 is forward/back(so to speak)

Comment

I swear by my Sidewinder FF2... Unfortunately they don't make them anymore, so when it dies, I'm screwed.... But yeah, for flying choppers you need the precise throttle control of a throttle slider/thingie... If your joystick doesn't have a twist rudder you need to go out and get one that does... Being able to use the rudder effectively is the key to being anything more than mediocre at flying jets or choppers... (It allows you to strafe the gun back and forth and coordinate turns in the jets, as well as spin the helicopters in place)... Buttons will work for a rudimentary rudder control, but you really NEED a twist rudder or a set of pedals to use them to the best of their abilities...

Comment

just set up your joystick and go into the settings and remap the buttons where it says pitch forward push the stick forward and the other key should remap automatically like roll left pull let on the stick and it will say whatever axis it is and the roll right should update automatically with the same axis but it will be fine same for the rudder and whatnot

now for the weapons buttons i made the trigger fire the guns and 1 button fires missiles or bombs another selects the weapons 1 to drop chaff and 1 button is the f9 view and 1 is the rear view even with all that i have 6 buttons i haven't touched

BTW i'm using a saitek cyborg evo and i use the muose and keyboard for flying choppers because it's easier to me (i've been doing it that way since BFV)

Comment

Working...
                    X